Club appoint Data Analyst

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Lee K

Club appoint Data Analyst

Post by Lee K »

We are getting posh:

https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/2024/0 ... wfYtiGM8y0

The next appointment will hopefully be for an “Apostrophe manager” for the club’s press releases :-)
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Perton Pitman

Re: Club appoint Data Analyst

Post by Perton Pitman »

Are we running before we can walk?
:scratchhead:
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Absolutely ridiculous.
Who on earth is advising the owners we need one of these.
What next
A boot lacer
An arse wiper????

Nothing against Johnathan at all, not personal, but does a club at level 8 of the English Football System really warrant an appointment like this.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
pitmanpipe

Post by pitmanpipe »

I’ve got no problem with the appointment to be fair.

League 2 clubs have them and if that’s the aim, if we ever get there we’ll have the back room structure to hit the ground running and not play catch up.

And in the process of us trying to achieve league 2 football, if the appointment can provide us data that improves us and gives us the edge over our opponents then I’ll take it.
Del

Post by Del »

PitmanKeith wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 9:59 am Absolutely ridiculous.
Who on earth is advising the owners we need one of these.
What next
A boot lacer
An arse wiper????
What about a Dietician? :mrgreen:
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
akb junior

Post by akb junior »

I’m not saying that a Data Analyst is essential at this level, but KMR definitely had one and I think Danny Glover did too. Not that it helped bring either of them any success. I don’t think it’s as unusual as we may think and wouldn’t be surprised if other teams around this level have someone in a similar role.

I listened to a podcast recently where Michael Clegg was the guest. He currently manages Macclesfield and previously managed Warrington Rylands. The amount of detail him and his team go into when recruiting players, analysing games etc. was quite surprising to me considering they play at a similar level to us.

This brings me onto the point of the General Manager and DoF roles that were discussed on another thread. I know that Keith mentioned someone has vast non-league knowledge that could oversee the day to day running of the club and advise on football matters. I’m sure this persons knowledge of non-league football is vast. However, do we need someone that is more familiar with the modern non-league approach as the game has evolved significantly over the past 10 years or so. Similar to how the likes of Rob and Larry were very successful with ourselves and Telford during this period, but haven’t had a job in ~8 years because they are seen as yesterdays men and the game has moved on.

I know it seems obscene to have people in a role to analyse data, but in this instance I don’t think it is the new owners trying to run before they can walk. If we looked at other clubs around our level, I’m sure we’d be quite surprised at how they are structured in terms of management team, the level of analysis they do on opponents etc.
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

pitmanpipe wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 10:09 am I’ve got no problem with the appointment to be fair.

League 2 clubs have them and if that’s the aim, if we ever get there we’ll have the back room structure to hit the ground running and not play catch up.

And in the process of us trying to achieve league 2 football, if the appointment can provide us data that improves us and gives us the edge over our opponents then I’ll take it.

I'd say the immediate concern is staving off relegation to the Midland League. League Two is pie in the sky and totally irrelevant at this moment in time. League Two is five promotions away atm.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

I don’t think the reason Rob & Larry haven’t had a football job in 8 or so years is because they are seen as yesterday’s men. It’s more to do with the fact that they don’t want a job in football anymore. I remember reading Rob saying so in an interview after he left Halesowen.
Anyway, I think I am just an old school dinosaur on this matter. No amount of data analysis, posh vests and computers will stop Jack Kelly heading the ball straight to their striker to equalise and no amount of said devices will stop Rhys Williams walking far out of his box minutes away from penalties and giving an opponent a decision to shoot and deny us a trip to the Poundland Bescot Stadium.
akb junior

Post by akb junior »

Lee K wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 11:09 am I don’t think the reason Rob & Larry haven’t had a football job in 8 or so years is because they are seen as yesterday’s men. It’s more to do with the fact that they don’t want a job in football anymore. I remember reading Rob saying so in an interview after he left Halesowen.
Anyway, I think I am just an old school dinosaur on this matter. No amount of data analysis, posh vests and computers will stop Jack Kelly heading the ball straight to their striker to equalise and no amount of said devices will stop Rhys Williams walking far out of his box minutes away from penalties and giving an opponent a decision to shoot and deny us a trip to the Poundland Bescot Stadium.
I’m not saying that I agree with the approach of having people in these roles that didn’t exist in years gone by. Like you say, no amount of analysis and planning can stop individual errors on the pitch. I just think that this is the way non-league football is going so we have to accept it to a certain degree.

I know that the DoF role has been critisised by many and I agree that I don’t think it is required at this level. But recently it came to light that Boldmere had a DoF who unfortunately recently passed away. So I wouldn’t be surprised if other clubs have people in these roles and we are just not aware of it.

We need to maybe take a step back when an appointment like this is made and not just say are we trying to run before we can walk, we don’t need this at this level etc. and look at the bigger picture, as non-league isn’t what it was 20 years ago.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

akb junior wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 11:27 am
Lee K wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 11:09 am I don’t think the reason Rob & Larry haven’t had a football job in 8 or so years is because they are seen as yesterday’s men. It’s more to do with the fact that they don’t want a job in football anymore. I remember reading Rob saying so in an interview after he left Halesowen.
I’m not saying that I agree with the approach of having people in these roles that didn’t exist in years gone by. Like you say, no amount of analysis and planning can stop individual errors on the pitch. I just think that this is the way non-league football is going so we have to accept it to a certain degree.

I know that the DoF role has been critisised by many and I agree that I don’t think it is required at this level. But recently it came to light that Boldmere had a DoF who unfortunately recently passed away. So I wouldn’t be surprised if other clubs have people in these roles and we are just not aware of it.

We need to maybe take a step back when an appointment like this is made and not just say are we trying to run before we can walk, we don’t need this at this level etc. and look at the bigger picture, as non-league isn’t what it was 20 years ago.
To be fair to Lee I made the comment about running before we can walk :mrgreen:
One area which we must get better at is player recruitment as we've dropped some right clangers in the last few years. Not sure a DoF would help with this as it goes back to scouting, watching games and identifying what motivates a player who is probably being paid over the odds and possibly on a contract.
The owners should be credited with putting things in place to move us on, but talk of step 1 football etc are pie in the sky. If we can emulate the likes Rushall and Buxton then that is a reasonable aim
bigbryg1

Post by bigbryg1 »

surely we need to know who will be manager next season as they might have there Owen person for this job as they would be working very closely with him and his team
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

bigbryg1 wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 1:41 pm surely we need to know who will be manager next season as they might have there Owen person for this job as they would be working very closely with him and his team
I think unless there is a big fall out of some kind we can reasonably assume its Paul Moore mate.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
bigbryg1

Post by bigbryg1 »

thanks Keith
Rambling Syd

Post by Rambling Syd »

Got to be honest, I don't see any problem with this appointment or indeed any of the others which have been made or are in the offing. That is of course on the proviso that the club can afford to do it of course and I assume the owners are footing the bill.

It makes a very pleasant change after the last few years to see the club being put on a more professional footing irrespective of whether our aims appear ambitious. Although clearly some money has been thrown at a last ditch attempt to stay up this season, it would appear that long-term we are working towards a more considered and sustainable recruitment strategy. Surely this is a positive aim and beats chucking big money at short term signings.
Grundle your parts - your own parts, not anybody elses!! It goes in this fashion.....
Del

Post by Del »

Rambling Syd wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 5:44 pm :mrgreen:
Just for you Syd!! :clap:

Joe, he was a young cordwangler,
Munging greebles he did go,
And he loved a bogler's daughter
By the name of Chiswick Flo.

Vain she was and like a grusset
Though her gander parts were fine,
But she sneered at his cordwangle
As it hung upon the line.

So he stole a woggler's mooly
For to make a wedding ring,
But the Bow Street Runners caught him
And the judge said "He will swing."

Oh, they hung him by the postern,
Nailed his mooly to the fence
For to warn all young cordwanglers
That it was a grave offence.

There's a moral to this story,
Though your cordwangle be poor,
Keep your hands off other's moolies,
For it is against the law.
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
bix_the_dog

Post by bix_the_dog »

Poundland Bescot Stadium :lol:

I thought that was a slur at first!
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

any one one who can help us play football ?
I would like to ask the club if i can sit on the bench and get 500 quid
who knows where the road may lead us, only a fool would say
bix_the_dog

Post by bix_the_dog »

sheriff wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 9:12 am any one one who can help us play football ?
I would like to ask the club if i can sit on the bench and get 500 quid
:-D

I'm sure they would snap you up as 'morale officer' ;)
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

What a comedic thread this has become :-)
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Wonder what his analysis of today will be?!