New Manager, Who Next?

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Perton Pitman

New Manager, Who Next?

Post by Perton Pitman »

Time to dust of this old thread once again.....

Anyone got any preferences? Roy Hodgson is available and Brendan Rogers soon will be !
:scratchhead:
pitmanpipe

Re: New Manager, Who Next?

Post by pitmanpipe »

I think we need to go for someone like Adam Stevens as I feel we need experience in and around this level.

But a wildcard option for me would have been Kyle Storer before he signed for Telford.
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

It all depends what our ambitions are, I would imagine we are in a position now not to just be looking at out of work managers. If that's the case it all depends on who would fancy dropping a couple of leagues to awake this sleeping giant. It could get very interesting.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Would anybody fancy Gary Hayward back, got faults but didn't take any s*it and got results and decent players.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

PitmanKeith wrote: Tue Feb 20 2024 3:56 pm Would anybody fancy Gary Hayward back, got faults but didn't take any s*it and got results and decent players.
...and therein lies the flaw. If we have a Sporting Director in the hierarchy, then I'll give it all of 5 minutes :mrgreen:
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Perton Pitman wrote: Tue Feb 20 2024 4:30 pm
PitmanKeith wrote: Tue Feb 20 2024 3:56 pm Would anybody fancy Gary Hayward back, got faults but didn't take any s*it and got results and decent players.
...and therein lies the flaw. If we have a Sporting Director in the hierarchy, then I'll give it all of 5 minutes :mrgreen:
In all honesty we don't know what we've got at the moment, we're all assuming it's a DoF, Sporting Director whatever you want to call it.
It may be the Gwilts are using someone from a Sports Agency just to get advice and a few contacts with players, he may not even be employed by the club.
He may also be shortlisting managers for us.
Only time will tell and the time will come hopefully soon when the Gwilts can be more forthcoming, which until the FA pull their finger out on the ratification issue I don't think they can
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Arrows87

Post by Arrows87 »

Neil tooth he seems to have great relationships with the fans already :-D :lol:
⚫️⚪️⚽️UTP
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

If McGrath can keep us up why not give him a chance
who knows where the road may lead us, only a fool would say
Arrows87

Post by Arrows87 »

Personally id take gary hayward or adam stevens tbf
⚫️⚪️⚽️UTP
Arrows87

Post by Arrows87 »

sheriff wrote: Tue Feb 20 2024 5:33 pm If McGrath can keep us up why not give him a chance
Think after two inexperinced managers we need to go for experince, but he certainly got a chance to impress and go for it.
⚫️⚪️⚽️UTP
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Perton Pitman wrote: Tue Feb 20 2024 2:27 pm Time to dust of this old thread once again.....

Anyone got any preferences? Roy Hodgson is available and Brendan Rogers soon will be !
Michael Beale too.. trying to find his level..
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
pitmanpipe

Post by pitmanpipe »

Heard a few mention Dean Keates this evening in the stands
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

pitmanpipe wrote: Tue Feb 20 2024 9:52 pm Heard a few mention Dean Keates this evening in the stands
:o

No thanks he hasn't worked for three years since he left Wrexham , not enough experience for me at this level.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
akb junior

Post by akb junior »

I wouldn’t be happy with Dean Keates either and could see it going the same way as the Andy Morrell appointment. One of the problems with an appointment like that is that they are used to dealing with full time / professional players and not only seeing the players for two evenings a week to work on stuff in training.

I’d much prefer someone who has experience around this level. But as I’ve said previously, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone like Dean Keates as he’d be deemed a ‘big name’ by some.

I’m all for the new owners having ambitions, but for now an experienced step 3/4 manager would be a much better fit than someone who has managed at step 1.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I agree with others Keates has no knowledge of this level of the game. I'd be looking at :

Stevens
Clarke (Redditch)
Long (Walsall Wood and unlikely)
MacDonald (Rushall and even more unlikely)

Going for a 'name' would be a really bad move and is likely to fail. I don't care where the owners think we might be in 5 years (I heard some outlandish stuff last night which I hope is incorrect) - they have to deal with the here and know and aim to have us back at step 3 in 3 years time. THat may require fairly significant investment on the playing side and we need a manager who knows the Midlands scene at step 3 so that we can build a squad capable of playing together for a couple of years.

One or two of the signings last week felt a bit desperate and if we are paying out big money to players and handing out contracts then the owners need to stand behind these. I'm also sure that players will start to talk amongst each other around what certain players are earning and this can be divisive when things don't go well.
pitmanpipe

Post by pitmanpipe »

I believe Adam Stevens and his assistant were seen in the stands last night talking to Terry Mac
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Wayne Rooney was seen queueing for a burger at half-time
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

The owners should take their time. Leave it until the summer. Lots more managers will be free of contracts and interest will be significantly higher. Leave McGrath in charge until the end of the season and watch all the applications drop into the inbox.
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Arrows87

Post by Arrows87 »

Perton Pitman wrote: Wed Feb 21 2024 8:03 am Wayne Rooney was seen queueing for a burger at half-time
Sorry but that was me 🤣

I did however see neil tooth at the game 🤣
⚫️⚪️⚽️UTP