Ilkeston Town (A)

Previews and then comments for the latest Pitmen match ONLY ... all other posts onto the appropriate thread. Yellow and red cards will be awarded for off topic postings!
Del

Ilkeston Town (A)

Post by Del »

Match scheduled for: Saturday 08 April - kick-off time: 15:00
Venue: New Manor Ground, Awsworth Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 8JF
Link to opponents official website: https://ilkestontownfc.co.uk/

League Table: https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... 22/2023/P/
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
PitmanKeith

Re: Ilkeston Town (A)

Post by PitmanKeith »

MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Pete1880

Post by Pete1880 »

Is Pitmen radio live today?
Caroljohnson

Post by Caroljohnson »

Ilkeston go 1 - 0 up. Leroy Lita
Del

Post by Del »

ILKESTON TOWN 4 - 1 PITMEN

Official (crows) 637

League Table: https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... 22/2023/P/

Full Times
Coalville 1v1 Bromsgrove
Hitchin 1v0 Royston
Ilkeston(red card) 4v1 Hednesford
Leiston 2v0 Barwell
Nuneaton 1v1 Kings Langley
Rushall 0v1 Basford
St. Ives 2v0 Tamworth
Stourbridge 0v2 AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Stratford 2v1 Mickleover
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Extremely disappointing result given the fact that we played a team for 68 minutes with only 10 men but not surprising.
I was looking forward to the trip to Ilkeston with it being six years since we last played there (and might be another six years before we play there again!). Not a great deal has changed from what I remember apart from it being another club with a 3G pitch.
The performance was in keeping with recent away games. Far too easy to play against, far too easy to score against with poor defending, and having absolutely no idea going forward in the first half. No pace, no movement, no options for the player on the ball, absolutely nothing. We let Leroy have a free header for the first goal, then we had perhaps a glimmer of hope when their player was unluckily red carded for what the referee must have deemed a clear goalscoring opportunity. It is true that Fenton Heard was through on goal but he hadn’t got full control of the ball and there was a second defender alongside him when he was taken down. A yellow would have been the right decision in my opinion but what do I know? What I did know though is that it would make absolutely no difference to the outcome of the match as I said to one of their fans who was audibly upset by the decision.
We had some of the ball in the first half after the red card but did nothing with it and they scored on the stroke of half time to go 2-0 up. In the second half they sat back and relaxed and we heavily dominated possession and we did actually have some chances. Some long range efforts went high or wide, and we forced a couple of splendid saves from their keeper. We were slightly unlucky I suppose to come up against a good keeper on the couple of occasions he was required to be, but a 4-1 defeat to a team playing most of the game with 10 men is really poor. Although we had plenty of the ball in the second half it only took one attack from them to score a third from a header from a corner which sums up how easy it is to score against us.
Still we battled on, and we did score a minute from the end when Chay Tilt’s outside-of-the-foot effort bent into the net off the post from a tight angle on the left. Only he will know whether it was meant to be a cross resulting in a poor effort becoming a happy accident or whether he meant it. I think I know what my guess would be. And even then, we still couldn’t keep them out as a minute later we conceded again. It’s just so easy to score against us. Although we created some chances in the second half and we dominated possession we still lost the half 2-1 which sums up how poor we are in both boxes.
I am pleased to say that my “away” season is now over. I’ve been to 13 of the 21 away league games, we haven’t won a single one and it’s been weary especially since the turn of the year. Heavy defeats such as 9-1 at Tamworth, 5-1 at Barwell, 4-1 at Ilkeston, 3-1 at Bromsgrove and the 3-0 defeat at Leek in the cup have taken its toll on me. I won’t be going to Leiston so that just leaves the three home games, where we do at least appear to play better.
I am still of the opinion that I would rather see a completely clean slate in terms of players for next season. Yes we’ve seen the odd decent performance from the likes of Patterson, McQuilkin etc but it’s been too bad to keep anyone. All these players are tainted with a poor relegation in the Pitmen shirt, they all have a losing mentality and we need to start again from zero. As much as I love Danny Glover, and I know he’s been dealt an extremely poor hand given the situation he’s been put in, I am concerned by the amount of goals we’ve conceded in away games since his arrival and I am leaning towards a new manager being sought for next season.
On a final note, I spent approximately 20 minutes speaking to Terry McMahon before the game started. He is excited for the future of the club under GH who he says has the funds and the ideas to “make this club great again.” But Terry did ask for patience in terms of information given that GH needs time to get his feet under the desk, which of course he can only really start to do from 1st May.
I was also approached by Todd Parker’s dad at half time who had seen me talking to Terry and asked who I was, and we had a quick five minute chat too. We only spoke in general terms about the season as a whole and I repeated to him what I’d said on the forum before about the credit Todd should have for not throwing the towel in like KMR’s other contracted players Ison, Bennett and O’Sullivan have done. He told me that Todd was given the option to leave but he decided to stay and fair play to him for that.
As it was my last away game of the season I decided on the retro look so hoping for a better future I went to the game wearing the home shirt of the 2004 season, which of course culminated in us winning the FA Trophy at Villa Park. As I’ve said before, we’ve had happier times before and we’ll have happier times again. UTP!
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Thanks for the review Lee.

I'm please that Terry is excited, but he has been enthusiastic too many times in the past about players, managers etc for me to be able to rely upon his judgement. I really hope he is right. I missed nearly 4 months of the season, but despite it being shorter for me it has been very wearing as you say.
:scratchhead:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34