Greatest Ever Day?

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
PitmanKeith

Greatest Ever Day?

Post by PitmanKeith »

Now 26 years ago today.

Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
Chris

Re: Greatest Ever Day?

Post by Chris »

I'll be controversial here and say my footballing Greatest Ever Day watching Hednesford was when we beat Leek 3-0 in the last ever game at the Cross Keys to gain promotion to the Conference.
The Middlesbrough game wasn't bad though, neither was the FA Trophy Final :-D
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Chris wrote: Wed Jan 25 2023 6:57 pm I'll be controversial here and say my footballing Greatest Ever Day watching Hednesford was when we beat Leek 3-0 in the last ever game at the Cross Keys to gain promotion to the Conference.
The Middlesbrough game wasn't bad though, neither was the FA Trophy Final :-D
In all.honesty Chris I loved all of that as well but my favourite was the 1978 WML title, a club at the time being run a shoestring but a great young manager in Ian Cooper who put together a great side. And who can forget the 10-0 win in the last game to seal the title.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I was lucky enough to be there for the 10- 0 vs Coventry Sporting and in some respects winning the league that year was a triumph as Alvechurch were probably favourites to win the WML. I recall we had to play a lot of games (8 or 10) in the last month and I think we drew one and won the rest.

My favourite moment as a Hednesford fan was Joe O'Connor toe-poking home from a foot to win the 2nd round cup tie at Blackpool. We were under the cosh for most of the game and were counting down the seconds towards a well earned replay. The goal sparked pandemonium on the crumbling terrace that some of us ran down to celebrate.

For a few days we were allowed a few heady days to dream of a third round tie against Man Utd, Liverpool etc only to be drawn against YOrk
:scratchhead:
C D S

Post by C D S »

Undoubtedly the greatest Hednesford XI of all time for me. Plenty of local lads showing pride and commitment for the shirt like Super Joe, Collo, Keith Russell and Paul Carty. Andy Comyn was technically the finest centre-back the club ever had in my opinion, a Rolls Royce of a player alongside Esso and Simmo. Always liked the balance of that midfield of Steve Devine, Lakey and Gary Fitz as well. Cooksey could be an absolute madman at times but what a brilliant shot-stopper he was. Great supporting cast from vastly experienced performers like Bernie and Tony Hemmings off the bench as well. A hell of a squad Baldwin and Johnny Allen put together that year.

Days like this, Hull City away, Villa Park, Chippenham away and the FC United of Manchester play-off final will always pull at the heart strings and remind you why you follow your club - it’s the hope of more glorious days like this that keeps you coming back. Alas, our current position doesn’t suggest another one of those days is very likely in the near future, particularly due to the contempt we have shown the F.A. Cup in recent years.
www.pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent Hednesford Town
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

My story is a little less romantic.

Growing up I was a Man Utd fan, but upon reaching the age of 16/17 I realised I wanted to support a team that I could go and watch. I was living in Pelsall, Rushall were closer but were (at least) two leagues below at the time and the Pitmen had just moved into a new ground and been promoted to the fifth tier of English football.
Although I was “following” Hednesford when we played Middlesbrough, I was a student and working Saturdays at Morrisons. I managed to arrange my break so that I could listen to the last 15 minutes of the Middlesbrough game on my walkman.
So my best memories of supporting the Pitmen that I was actually there are the play-off final wins away at Chippenham and at home to FCUM, but also the FA Trophy win in 2004. I was lucky enough to attend every single game in that Trophy run including the Tuesday night replay win at Worthing on the south coast.
I’m known for enjoying high scoring away wins as well so the 4-3 win at Boston in the Conference, and in the Southern League the two 4-3 wins at Bath, the 4-3 win at Dorchester as well as the 6-0 win at Hemel Hempstead and the 4-1 win at Aylesbury might not live long in the memory for most people but it did for me.
I was also at the 1-0 win at Newport Isle of Wight on the last day of the season which sealed survival that season (although a draw would have done) with Derek Rae scoring the winner. Walking around town seeing loads of Hednesford fans on the Isle of Wight just to clinch Southern League survival was a sight to behold.
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

C D S wrote: Wed Jan 25 2023 9:14 pm Undoubtedly the greatest Hednesford XI of all time for me. Plenty of local lads showing pride and commitment for the shirt like Super Joe, Collo, Keith Russell and Paul Carty. Andy Comyn was technically the finest centre-back the club ever had in my opinion, a Rolls Royce of a player alongside Esso and Simmo. Always liked the balance of that midfield of Steve Devine, Lakey and Gary Fitz as well. Cooksey could be an absolute madman at times but what a brilliant shot-stopper he was. Great supporting cast from vastly experienced performers like Bernie and Tony Hemmings off the bench as well. A hell of a squad Baldwin and Johnny Allen put together that year.

Days like this, Hull City away, Villa Park, Chippenham away and the FC United of Manchester play-off final will always pull at the heart strings and remind you why you follow your club - it’s the hope of more glorious days like this that keeps you coming back. Alas, our current position doesn’t suggest another one of those days is very likely in the near future, particularly due to the contempt we have shown the F.A. Cup in recent years.
Another year since Boro away..
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

PitmanKeith wrote: Wed Jan 25 2023 11:18 am Now 26 years ago today.

Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
bigbryg1

Post by bigbryg1 »

I WILL NEVER FPRGET THAT DAY GIVES ME GOOSE BUMPS JUST WATCHING IT SO SO PROUD THAT DAY HOPE THOSE DAYS RETURN SOON UP THE PIT MEN :clap: :clap:
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I do remember looking around me at the 5000 fans that were following us that day and thinking "you bunch of glory hunting ******s. How many of you will be around when the club really needs you"?
It was a fine game and a memorable day, but on the coach on the way up there were rumours circulating around the fate of the builders who had constructed our stadium and that was a small taste of what was to the follow...
:scratchhead:
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Perton Pitman wrote: Fri Jan 26 2024 12:42 pm I do remember looking around me at the 5000 fans that were following us that day and thinking "you bunch of glory hunting ******s. How many of you will be around when the club really needs you"?
It was a fine game and a memorable day, but on the coach on the way up there were rumours circulating around the fate of the builders who had constructed our stadium and that was a small taste of what was to the follow...
Do enlighten us
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Glyn wrote: Thu Jan 25 2024 2:54 pm
PitmanKeith wrote: Wed Jan 25 2023 11:18 am Now 26 years ago today.

18 secs in , rest in piece Tim
who knows where the road may lead us, only a fool would say