Leek Town v Pitmen ... SSC

Previews and then comments for the latest Pitmen match ONLY ... all other posts onto the appropriate thread. Yellow and red cards will be awarded for off topic postings!
Del

Leek Town v Pitmen ... SSC

Post by Del »

Match scheduled for: Tuesday 10 January - kick-off time: 19:45
Venue: The F. Ball Community Stadium, Macclesfield Road, Leek, Staffordshire ST13 8LD
Link to opponents official website: https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/leektown
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Lee K

Re: Leek Town v Pitmen ... SSC

Post by Lee K »

Bargain football, see you all there!
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Del

Post by Del »

There is live commentary this evening:

https://pitmen-radio.mixlr.com/events/1761812
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

FULL TIME

Leek Town 3-0 Hednesford
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

This was a very poor performance I suppose expected in part because we started the game with four players who had only signed the day before and possibly hadn’t even met any of their teammates until they arrived to play.
Of the new players we had Tyreace Brown at centre back who is a ball playing centre back and began the game brightly. However, he is “too much” of a ball playing centre back and held onto it too long at times but I respect how he wants to play the game. His defending for the first and third was possibly suspect as we defended poorly for both goals but I can see him developing into a decent step 4 player.
Striker Owen Watkins is small, nippy and quite tricky but he was fighting a losing battle against the Leek back four because he had a woefully ineffective partner (more about him later) and Watkins was hooked at half time having shown plenty of effort and trickery but ultimately with no reward.
The other two were midfielders Ethan Spencer and Corey Currithers. I didn’t see any of the “dynamic” midfielder that the press release claimed Spencer to be. He is on dual reg from Heather St Johns and is way out of his depth judging on this performance. Currithers was slightly better but still unlikely to make an impact at Step 3 or 4 based on last night.
Overall it was a poor performance. There was no lack of effort from Kemi Agustien in midfield or Niah Payne out wide but nothing came off for them. Watkins’ partner Samir Nabi is another matter. He went to Sutton to get some game time but he still looks uninterested and unfit, was completely anonymous and for a big bloke is knocked off the ball far too easily. I don’t know if there is a medical or cultural reason why he was wearing tights but straight away you think he’s not interested and he showed that. In general it was a lot like what we’ve seen most of the season. Lots of passing sideways and backwards, moving forward very slowly and when we get into a decent attacking area of the pitch we either didn’t know what to do with it and lost the ball or hit a hopeful ball and still lost it.
In the second half we brought on Parker, Thorley, O’Sullivan and Ison and together with Payne and Portman we had over half a current first choice side on the pitch but nothing changed. No inspiration from anyone anywhere and no quality. At 3-0 down we did then force a couple of saves from the Leek keeper when Hartley went on a mazy run to get into the box and shoot and O’Sullivan hit a cracking shot from distance but their keeper saved well both times.
As for Leek they had former Pitmen Louis Keenan and Ross Davidson in their side. Both were very young players when they played for us (over 10 years ago for both?) but both were accomplished and Davidson in particular at the age of 33 didn’t look a day older than when he played for us in terms of physical appearance and performance. Our match preview stated that Tim Grice also played for us at one time but that escapes me, apologies if I am wrong. I am sure stats geeks CDS and/or Pitman Keith can confirm or deny Grice’s previous time with the club.
Finally a word for our owners. Both Ade and Graham were there and credit to them. This game would have been (quite rightly) at the bottom of our list of priorities behind league survival and the Baggies game and they are busy men with the football club and their other businesses so their appearance shows no signs of their commitment reducing in any way.
I have a policy going back a number of years now of going to all the away Senior Cup games but none of the home ones so I will be sticking to that and won’t be there tonight. Two games in two nights can also take its toll on work and family life. But hopefully those that are there will see a better performance and a win to take us through to the quarter finals.
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)