Stourbridge (A)

Previews and then comments for the latest Pitmen match ONLY ... all other posts onto the appropriate thread. Yellow and red cards will be awarded for off topic postings!
Del

Stourbridge (A)

Post by Del »

Match scheduled for: Tuesday 22 November - kick-off time: 19:45
Venue: War Memorial Athletic Ground, High Street, Amblecote, Stourbridge DY8 4HN
Link to opponents official website: https://www.stourbridgefc.com/
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
TMVP

Re: Stourbridge (A)

Post by TMVP »

Just to give people a heads up I can’t make it tomorrow. But I’ll be back for St Ives Town on Saturday
Town Crier

Post by Town Crier »

O-yay, O-yay, O-yay
Cant make tomorrow either, shift work
mr Lee will have to wait a bit longer to have a ring on my bell
ding-dong O-Yay

dig a-ling
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

The goals are on the stourbridge twitter and don't make for pretty viewing. Stych unmarked in the box for the second and the third being an own goal with an attempted clearance being shanked into the net..

Hard to see where a win is coming from as we seem to have developed a habit of crumbling
:scratchhead:
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Del

Post by Del »

STOURBRIDGE 3 - 1 PITMEN

League Table: https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... 22/2023/P/

Official (crows) 400

Full Times:
Bedford 2v0 Kings Langley
Coalville 4v1 Mickleover
Leiston 3v0 Royston
Rushall 2v2 Tamworth
Stourbridge 3v1 Hednesford(redcard)
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
C D S

Post by C D S »

Just don't see away way out of this from here. Confidence is absolutely shot in all areas of the pitch. I wonder of the management team are thinking of walking away as it just hasn't worked for them - nine defeats now in fifteen games for Yogi since he arrived. Despite all of the good stuff they have done, we've played the last few games with three inexperienced kids in defence (Andoh, Redfern, Portman), in front of a young goalkeeper and keep making stupid, elementary, unforced errors. If this had been a KMR side, he would have been dragged over the hot coals for fielding such inexperience and players not suited to the positions they are playing in.

We need to win four games in a row just to get back on parity with the clubs above us. I can't see us winning four more this season in total.

A very sorry state of affairs and it's sickening watching the demise of my club into the realms of obscurity without as much as a whimper.
www.pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent Hednesford Town
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

C D S wrote: Tue Nov 22 2022 9:58 pm Just don't see away way out of this from here. Confidence is absolutely shot in all areas of the pitch. I wonder of the management team are thinking of walking away as it just hasn't worked for them - nine defeats now in fifteen games for Yogi since he arrived. Despite all of the good stuff they have done, we've the last few games with three inexperienced kids in defence (Andoh, Redfern, Portman), in front of a young goalkeeper and keep making stupid, elementary, unforced errors. If this had been a KMR side, he would have been dragged over the hot coals for fielding such inexperience and players not suited to the positions they are playing in.

We need to win four games in a row just to get back on parity with the clubs above us. I can't see us winning four more this season in total.

A very sorry state of affairs and it's sickening watching the demise of my club into the realms of obscurity without as much as a whimper.
All very fair points but one has to wonder how much his hands are tied with a lot of contracted players who are just not doing the business, can't be shown the door and weren't signed by him in the first place.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

The first half was good. We attacked them well and after a good move Stanley scored after 4 minutes. We had other good chances - their keeper must have saved three (shots from Livingstone and Stanley come to mind) in the first half and Ison’s superb strike from 25 yards smacked the post and came out. But we were again ropey at the back and conceded a poor goal from Cowley unmarked with Portman doing little to stop the move down his side before the cross came in. Then Andoh gave away a ridiculous penalty when he barged their player over right on the edge of the box when their player had his back to goal but luckily enough Brooks saved his second penalty in two games.
The second half though was an absolute disgrace. A decent strike by Styche and another Lowe own goal (almost a copy of his own goal at Basford) put paid to us. Too many of our players didn’t want it second half and Cuff came on just in time to hit a sweet free kick at their keeper but then got himself sent off for a late challenge that must have been deemed serious foul play.
Of the players that started today the whole back four are not good enough (Andoh, Portman, Lowe and Redfern). Too many mistakes, not enough closing down to stop crosses and iffy distribution). Ison played in midfield and as always got stuck in and can come out of the game with credit. Parker is not playing well enough and hasn’t done so all season, Rowe is ok in bits as he gets stuck in but doesn’t have a great effect on any game, Livingstone has been poor these last three games. Leroy did nothing at all and Stanley put in a lot of effort and a lot of running but doesn’t have much idea (apart from the goal).
Kyle Bennett is a contracted player and it will remain the biggest mistake of the season giving him a contract. He didn’t even play well enough last season to deserve one. It says something when a contracted, experienced player like him is left on the bench all game when we are losing to a poor side. He is one player that it is obvious that Burr wants to get rid of but can’t. The same can also be said for Cuff. He has been a major disappointment since the form he showed in pre-season and he’s come on today and got himself what will probably be a 4 match ban (3 for the serious foul play and 1 because it’s his second red card). He is another contracted player that we are stuck with.
I have always been positive and have always felt that the results would change but I’ve been to both Coalville and Stourbridge over the last four days and I can’t see us staying up now. Burr has been lumbered with too many contracted players who are not pulling their weight and who have probably taken up most of the budget.
If we can’t beat poor teams like Stourbridge then the only way is down….
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Lee K wrote: Tue Nov 22 2022 11:00 pm The first half was good. We attacked them well and after a good move Stanley scored after 4 minutes. We had other good chances - their keeper must have saved three (shots from Livingstone and Stanley come to mind) in the first half and Ison’s superb strike from 25 yards smacked the post and came out. But we were again ropey at the back and conceded a poor goal from Cowley unmarked with Portman doing little to stop the move down his side before the cross came in. Then Andoh gave away a ridiculous penalty when he barged their player over right on the edge of the box when their player had his back to goal but luckily enough Brooks saved his second penalty in two games.
The second half though was an absolute disgrace. A decent strike by Styche and another Lowe own goal (almost a copy of his own goal at Basford) put paid to us. Too many of our players didn’t want it second half and Cuff came on just in time to hit a sweet free kick at their keeper but then got himself sent off for a late challenge that must have been deemed serious foul play.
Of the players that started today the whole back four are not good enough (Andoh, Portman, Lowe and Redfern). Too many mistakes, not enough closing down to stop crosses and iffy distribution). Ison played in midfield and as always got stuck in and can come out of the game with credit. Parker is not playing well enough and hasn’t done so all season, Rowe is ok in bits as he gets stuck in but doesn’t have a great effect on any game, Livingstone has been poor these last three games. Leroy did nothing at all and Stanley put in a lot of effort and a lot of running but doesn’t have much idea (apart from the goal).
Kyle Bennett is a contracted player and it will remain the biggest mistake of the season giving him a contract. He didn’t even play well enough last season to deserve one. It says something when a contracted, experienced player like him is left on the bench all game when we are losing to a poor side. He is one player that it is obvious that Burr wants to get rid of but can’t. The same can also be said for Cuff. He has been a major disappointment since the form he showed in pre-season and he’s come on today and got himself what will probably be a 4 match ban (3 for the serious foul play and 1 because it’s his second red card). He is another contracted player that we are stuck with.
I have always been positive and have always felt that the results would change but I’ve been to both Coalville and Stourbridge over the last four days and I can’t see us staying up now. Burr has been lumbered with too many contracted players who are not pulling their weight and who have probably taken up most of the budget.
If we can’t beat poor teams like Stourbridge then the only way is down….
Absolutely spot on mate, I would also like to add the fact that we have also lost O'Sullivan ( also contracted i believe) for a large part of the season and more recently Clemmo.
I've been saying it for months but the midfield is the problem it's not creative enough, tough enough and doesn't protect the defence which is why that struggles. It doesn't help having to play FIVE centre halves every game either. What has happened to Zac Hartley?.
I see the usual FB warriors are out demanding a change of manager again, what on earth will that change, he would still be stuck with the same scenario that is dogging Yogi and Toothy. If we are to go down I would prefer to stick with them both, they would have a clean slate then to spend the money on who they want not what they've inherited. Some folk need to understand that the money pit is not bottomless and nor should it be and sometimes circumstances dictate outcomes not lack of effort on the gaffers part.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I think it would be sensible to have Burr and tooth in charge for next season. Write this one off and start afresh
Foxinthebox

Post by Foxinthebox »

Everything about the club is toxic at the moment. I can’t see where we’re getting a win from at all. No desire on the pitch at all, Zac Hartley was looking like one of our better players but we sign two extra full backs and he’s not getting a look in now. We release Nesbitt to leave us with one main striker, who is hardly setting the world on fire at the moment. Our midfield is worse than poor.

On a separate note our socials have got to be the worst in the league? We post match reports nearly a week after the game is over, what’s the point by then? Our Twitter feed only has the lineups from last night, nothing from the game or the full time result, show me another teams socials that’s that poor?

Oh and don’t forget we have a chairman that keeps threatening to walk.

I think I’m done for the season the place has turned into a shambles
Del

Post by Del »

Foxinthebox wrote: Wed Nov 23 2022 11:48 am On a separate note our socials have got to be the worst in the league? We post match reports nearly a week after the game is over, what’s the point by then? Our Twitter feed only has the lineups from last night, nothing from the game or the full time result, show me another teams socials that’s that poor?
To be fair, we had live commentary last night which meant DaveC could not commentate and Tweet.
As you might have seen on another topic I posted about the media side of things and got an answer of sorts from the Chairman( viewtopic.php?t=5347 )

I try to give continuos updates on the Live Match Thread using various sources, but obviously they are not as good as the real thing.
It would appear we might have had a new trainee commentator last night (James) so the social media side might be on the up, DaveC doeshave a life outside HTFC as we all do!

I have made numerous suggestions before, as have others, but all to no avail. I fully understand the owners concerns and problems, but they are only caretakers of the club and need to listen to every supporter, wherever they may be.
I'm not defending the Club in any way here - I totally agree with you and it is something they are hopefully looking to improve on. :clap:

Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I think it is true to say that the owners were a bit excitable when they took the club over. Grand statements were made about where the club was going, but the many of us that have experienced non-league football for years know how difficult it can be to make progress on the pitch. It is a very expensive business and anyone who comes into it thinking that success will come easily is deluding themselves.

There may be some regret, but I remain hopeful that the owners will continue to support the club. THey are certainly backing Steve Burr and probably cannot do anymore. If a centre half shanks a cross into his own goal it is not the fault of the owners, nor the manager, and fans should remember that.

I've said it before, but clubs that do well on the pitch are usually given more latitude for other failings than those clubs that struggle. For example, Stourbridge has the worst ground in the league , has a cashless system on turnstiles, but the fact they had a lot of success over the decade means that these shortcomings largely get forgotten.

Hednesford has a fantastic stadium, really good levels of support for a club that has hardly won a game and a management duo that I think will turn it around (but perhaps not this season).
jackiemaund

Post by jackiemaund »

I always class myself has an optimistic type of guy who always looks on the bright side of life.
I’ve been of the opinion that one way or another we would avoid relegation this season.
But hold on a minute after last nights dreadful performance which I walked away from with ten minutes left we are to coin the dads army phrase “DOOMED”
Last nights game followed the pattern of most of the recent games,a good opening first quarter and then a gradual decline until has the second halves progressed a complete shambles.
We lose control in midfield has the opposition outplay us apply pressure and we collapse.
I’ve been of the impression for sometime now that our midfield is not up to standard Parker quite simply is not the player he was,Rowe is not level three player and I have to disagree with many that Ison for all his endeavour consistently comes up short.
In consequence the defence comes under immense pressure and the forwards get no service.
I think Mr Burr has to consider a change in formation because three in the middle allowing for the fact that Livingston appears to try and play winger and wing back without success indeed he appears to have thrown the towel in he’s not the only one and play four midfielders with two central strikers so that Lita can finally get some support.
This maybe the way forward but alas I believe the bird has flown and it pains me to say this but I see us getting relegated.
M O M- for the umpteenth time Brookes
Entertainment value - close to zero second half not even any spirit
Supporters - apart from committee I counted eleven completely dejected
Officials - no issues good.
Next Match Away at St Ives don’t hold your breath and now Cuff has left the club
Apologies forgot to say Dan couldn’t make it so no highlights.
Villa have been a great club,are still a great club and always will be a great club.

Frederick Rinder
northernboro

Post by northernboro »

Rangers fan in peace

Sounds like you caught Stourbridge cold early in the first half but they came back into it and you couldn't consolidate the lead into points. It's no use taking the lead if you can't defend it. I wouldn't blame the number of contracted players hampering the manager - how many has he brought in already?

If he can't shore things up and get a few points on the board at this stage then I'd say he's not going to do a great deal. I would have hoped for double his current points return at the very least, if not to actually be within reach of 5th from bottom by now. In the Coalville post match interview he actually says he wouldn't swap the trophy wins for league points which tells you everything. An extra six points in your position is a lifeline.

I did say a few weeks ago that this will likely be your trajectory with Burr in charge. It appears that nothing has changed. There's no doubt that his sides can play attractive attacking football at times, but he has no winning strategy. You can take the lead and create tons of chances, it means nothing if you're not getting anything out of games.

I wish I could spread some positivity, but this is the way we went with Burr and if this run continues I can't see him staying around after Christmas, just like he did with us. If you're still in the same position when that time comes, then be glad - you'll not be facing step four with someone who doesn't know how to get results, particularly against a load of sides who will undoubtedly up their game simply because you'll be a big club at that level. Been there, done that.
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

i will tell you what will happen Burr will resign and Toothy will be given the job for next seasons step 4 football
we have really reached the dungeons of non league football
who knows where the road may lead us, only a fool would say
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I've not been able to go to games for 3 months, but from what I've seen on the highlights we have been hamstrung by individual errors in defence and a bit of bad luck at the other end. I know it is clutching at straws, but we hit the woodwork last night when one up and also hit the woodwork a couple of times at King's langley.
We have, however, developed a losing mentality. I guess Burr knows plenty about attacking but perhaps less about doing the ugly things in midfield and defence.
This remainder of the season has an air of inevitability about it