Pitmen v Aston Villa XI ... PSF

Previews and then comments for the latest Pitmen match ONLY ... all other posts onto the appropriate thread. Yellow and red cards will be awarded for off topic postings!
Del

Pitmen v Aston Villa XI ... PSF

Post by Del »

Match scheduled for Tuesday 12 July - kick-off time: 19.45

We extend a warm welcome to first-time visitors and/or away fans, here's what you need to know about Keys Park

https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/stadium

We hope you enjoy your visit to the Race Stadium and we wish you safe journeys to and from the ground.

Local weather forecasts can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653883

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... /gcqe9zm6y
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Lee K

Re: Pitmen v Aston Villa XI ... PSF

Post by Lee K »

It’s a bargain for £9 lads!
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Pitmen come from 3-0 down at half time to beat Villa 4-3 with goals from Cuff,2 , Tilt and McQuilkin.
MFL Div 1 2025 🤣
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Lee K wrote: Mon Jul 11 2022 4:47 pm It’s a bargain for £9 lads!
it certainly was
who knows where the road may lead us, only a fool would say
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

My first viewing of us in this pre-season. I'm not sure what to make of the game and whether it gives us an indication of how far we are progressing.
We largely dominated from start to finish . Villa had 3 attempts on goal in the first half, including a very dodgy penalty, and they all went in. Incidentally it was pointed out to me that the ref last night was the same one who gave rushall their dodgy penalty last August.
Second half was more of the same, but we were more clinical in front of goal. Cuff looks one a useful acquisition. The number 7 trialist was excellent , but whether we see him again remains to be seen.
An entertaining game played in beautiful weather and the tannoy was turned down which gave my ears a welcome rest after last season.
:scratchhead:
C D S

Post by C D S »

Well… I don’t think anyone in the ground would have predicted that final score at half time!!! A fantastic final twenty minutes from the lads and proof that you should never give up even when the game looks lost

The first half was a weird one; we played pretty well and had several good chances, but found ourselves three down in quick succession through a combination of excellent Villa attacking play and indifferent defending. Big striker Chukwuemeka and the lively Frith, supported by the experienced El Ghazi gave us constant issues with their pace and guile that we really struggled to cope with; you couldn’t really have any complaints at the break and I was just hoping we could avoid the same fate that had befallen Ca$htown on Friday in the second half

A much more even affair after the break as both teams made changes. Without their star players, Villa looked far more ordinary and we started to press their young defence. McQuilkin’s superb strike proved a real catalyst as it gave us belief and something to chase in the latter stages. Tilt bundled a second home before Cuff drove home an equaliser from a free-kick to set up a grandstand finish, with the winger applying a confident finish for the late winner. Fandabidozi

Some useful performances in the first half from Parker, Landell and the triallist right winger but a couple of the defenders had absolute stinkers. The second half side looked more confident and rounded, with Cuff yet again a difference maker and was well supported by Tilt and McQuilkin. Shout out to Martin Riley, who has looked very good since his return last week and has been solid at the back. I’m also wondering if the goalkeeper shirt may be up for grabs, as Rhys Williams has shown some real promise recently with three successive games without conceding a goal. Perhaps Gwilliams isn’t the undisputed no. 1 after all?

Really enjoyable evening and a great crowd to swell the coffers. Hoping for more entertainment on Saturday.
www.pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent Hednesford Town
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

I am concerned about Gwilliams. In my opinion he could have saved, or at least did better, with the three goals we conceded with him in goal against Blues. Last night he made a feeble attempt to save the penalty (didn’t dive forcefully either way or stand his ground, he seemed to just drop to the floor) and he was nowhere with the other two goals either. This just reinforces my view (the view that I was vocal with on the forum towards the end of last year) that Rhys Williams, or Clarkson who was here last season, should have played the last 6 or 7 games of last season to give them the first-team League experience they needed under minimal pressure instead of persisting with loan keepers from Wolves and Blues who would want to have no future at our club at this point in their careers. I agree with CDS, from what I’ve seen there is, or should be, no undisputed starter in goal at the moment.
I thought we played well last night. We had the chances to at least be level with Villa at half time but we put them all high or wide. Yes, the defence still looks uncertain at times and I also agree that Riley is the second best defender we have and should start the season ahead of Portman and Byrne.
McQuilkin is a calm, composed and experienced midfielder, just the sort we need with his quality and influence in a young team. Rowe looks like he’ll get stuck in but I don’t think there’s a place in the starting line up for him ahead of Parker and McQuilkin. The trialist was tall for a winger but he was strong, direct and had quality. The main thing for me is that in the three games I’ve seen so far, we have been much more positive, creative and entertaining that we were all last year and as long as that happens the crowd numbers should only increase. Cuff is also strong and direct and although he scored two goals last night, if he can improve on his otherwise flaky final ball/shooting he could be a real force next season. Rashad, and to a slightly lesser extent Seraton, both look good enough to me to make an impact in the first team this season. Usual competent displays from Parker and Landell, Bennett showed flashes of the quality he has (if only he could do it game after game) and we have competition at left back with Lycett and Manton, and at right-back with Webb and Hayden.
And we produced this remarkable comeback without our two strikers as there was no Lita or O’Sullivan last night. Does anyone know why?
I’ll be in Blackpool on Saturday at the World Matchplay darts extravaganza so it’ll be next Tuesday next for me.
TMVP

Post by TMVP »

Highlights

TMVP

Post by TMVP »

KMR post-match interview

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Thanks Dan.

Anyone know if we've (re-)signed McQuilkin? I don't think I've seen this confirmed yet...

(If KMR has answered my question in his interview, excuse me, I haven't listened to that.)

He's not included here

https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/squad
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

And here's why AEG featured for Villa:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... i-24473056
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Glyn wrote: Wed Jul 13 2022 12:12 pm And here's why AEG featured for Villa:

He must be well gutted - all his mates in Australia and he’s in Hednesford :-)
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Lee K wrote: Wed Jul 13 2022 12:32 pm
Glyn wrote: Wed Jul 13 2022 12:12 pm And here's why AEG featured for Villa:

He must be well gutted - all his mates in Australia and he’s in Hednesford :-)
A report on Facebook suggests AEG hasn't travelled to Australia as his wife is about to give birth. You'd have thought the journo might have reported that too... ;)
C D S

Post by C D S »

Glyn wrote: Wed Jul 13 2022 12:01 pm
Anyone know if we've (re-)signed McQuilkin? I don't think I've seen this confirmed yet...
I’ve been back through Twitter and the official site just and unless my eyesight is failing me, I don’t see any confirmation of either McQuilkin or Landell agreeing deals. No mention of Wes Atkinson, Luke Ward, Tom Armitage or Bradley Clarkson leaving either, which I assume is the case.
www.pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent Hednesford Town
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Glyn wrote: Wed Jul 13 2022 12:01 pm Thanks Dan.

(If KMR has answered my question in his interview, excuse me, I haven't listened to that.)

He's not included here

https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/squad
From another thread...
Graham Jones wrote: Wed Jul 13 2022 1:49 pm
Timing is everything.

Same with player questions. If the are signed we have said. If not, they are playing for places.

I highly recommend to look at trialists. I cannot say who they are, but we have a couple atm. Who with little research can be very easily identified.
Thanks Graham, I'll take it that applies to the above, albeit he's been playing for us in his own name, rather than as a "trialist"
Graham Jones

Post by Graham Jones »

Managements choice. 👍
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

A bit of context, as if PSF results mean anything (they don't), Villa have learned their lesson about playing to the FT whistle!