Artificial Surfaces

Please post anything unrelated to the Pitmen in here.
Glyn

Re: Artificial Surfaces

Post by Glyn »

Glyn wrote:
FOZZIE wrote:In today's express a change of heart?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... h-football
Thanks for the link Fozzie.

Hallelujah.

The ostriches are finally lifting their heads...
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... al-FA-vote

We have progress!
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

What would Brian Clough have made of all this?
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

The Beerhunter wrote:What would Brian Clough have made of all this?
"Get the ball on the deck, if footballs were meant to be in the air they'd have wings..."

I promise you, I've seen one game on "plastic" this season (but lots before) and the quality of the passing and ball control is, maybe because it has to be, far better
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

Glyn wrote:
The Beerhunter wrote:What would Brian Clough have made of all this?
"Get the ball on the deck, if footballs were meant to be in the air they'd have wings..."
Or..... " If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put GRASS up there".
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

:mrgreen: :clap:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Glyn wrote:
Glyn wrote:
FOZZIE wrote:In today's express a change of heart?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... h-football
Thanks for the link Fozzie.

Hallelujah.

The ostriches are finally lifting their heads...
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... al-FA-vote

We have progress!
http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/20 ... H4.twitter

:clap:
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

My lad's team had their first game on a 4G pitch today (in Sedgley). Whilst the economic arguments are massively in favour, I have to say that the one thing that was noticeable was that the lads all suffered abrasions from attempting to slide tackle. The result was that the second half was played with much less in the way of tackling and the lads were unanimous in saying that they wouldn't like to play on that kind of surface again as it was a much more painful experience than playing on grass.
The bounce was true (replicating a very firm pitch) and it did encourage passing, but that kind of surface will only result in relatively sterile football and much less in the way of firm tackles.

In summary, therefore, until technology improves and takes the pain out of tackling (for young lads learning the game) I'm not in favour
:scratchhead:
Soup Dragon

Post by Soup Dragon »

Perton Pitman wrote:My lad's team had their first game on a 4G pitch today (in Sedgley). Whilst the economic arguments are massively in favour, I have to say that the one thing that was noticeable was that the lads all suffered abrasions from attempting to slide tackle. The result was that the second half was played with much less in the way of tackling and the lads were unanimous in saying that they wouldn't like to play on that kind of surface again as it was a much more painful experience than playing on grass.
The bounce was true (replicating a very firm pitch) and it did encourage passing, but that kind of surface will only result in relatively sterile football and much less in the way of firm tackles.

In summary, therefore, until technology improves and takes the pain out of tackling (for young lads learning the game) I'm not in favour
Bet you get fast Internet speeds though?
It took me years to understand "here's" from "hears", so their you go!
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

bix_the_dog

Post by bix_the_dog »

Soup Dragon wrote:
Perton Pitman wrote:My lad's team had their first game on a 4G pitch today (in Sedgley). Whilst the economic arguments are massively in favour, I have to say that the one thing that was noticeable was that the lads all suffered abrasions from attempting to slide tackle. The result was that the second half was played with much less in the way of tackling and the lads were unanimous in saying that they wouldn't like to play on that kind of surface again as it was a much more painful experience than playing on grass.

Bet you get fast Internet speeds though?
:-D
Del

Post by Del »

"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Interesting article here

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/ ... 93661.html

... and I gather there are serious plans for Oxford City to install one (or should that be Oxford City Council?) which those who saw the state of their pitch last Saturday just might endorse...

;)
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

http://www.welshpremier.com/news/WPL96824.ink

Airbus won't be able to use the pitch as their excuse for not catching TNS now then...
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Spotted by Jas....

Artificial surfaces are OK for the World Cup then, too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27778736
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

The Conference ostrich has taken its head out of the sand...

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/top-stori ... eason.html
Del

Post by Del »

"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

The expansion of the use of artificial surfaces appears to have taken the ostrich-PFA by surprise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29549466

a) I do so wish that people discussing this wouldn't hark back to the first-generation pitches used by QPR/Oldham/Luton etc which were a world away from 3G or 4G pitches now in use

b) The argument that clubs having an artificial pitch installed have an unfair advantage is tosh. A club which has one will have to alternate probably weekly (at least until a substantial number of clubs in its league have one) between playing on grass and "plastic" whereas visiting teams will have to adapt to plastic only once a season

c) I do see that players who play on them regularly might claim they're responsible for more injuries or ankle- or knee-strains - so why doesn't the PFA consult them, they are out there to be found if they only knew where to look. But you can equally sustain injuries by getting your studs stuck in grass or mud....
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Having watched some kids matches recently on these pitches I have to say that after 10 minutes of play the amount of slide tackling was virtually nil. The scrapes and grazes that the lads were getting were quite painful and so they quickly learned to stay on their feet. OK if you are going to play for Barcelona, but that kind of surface doesn't encourage a more traditional type of approach to the game.
:scratchhead:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Perton Pitman wrote:Having watched some kids matches recently on these pitches I have to say that after 10 minutes of play the amount of slide tackling was virtually nil. The scrapes and grazes that the lads were getting were quite painful and so they quickly learned to stay on their feet. OK if you are going to play for Barcelona, but that kind of surface doesn't encourage a more traditional type of approach to the game.
I think slide tackling is virtually outlawed anyway these days? Ask Ozzy....

We'll have the next generation of kids playing tiki-taka just in time for it to be out of date. Oh, it is already

:roll:

There are pros and cons. From the point of view of clubs who need to get through a winter without having games postponed (yes I know we didn't last winter but that was a very rare experience) and to have an additional revenue stream (ask Sutton Coldfield Town) artificial surfaces are tremendous.

The game is indeed different and players - or fans - might have to adapt to that. I've seen over 50 games played on a 3G surface and some terrific fare served up.
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

And some crap, our game against Romulus in the FA Cup springs to mind.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

The Beerhunter wrote:And some crap, our game against Romulus in the FA Cup springs to mind.
It doesn't spring to my mind, but if you'd have said FA Trophy.....
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

I've made it clear which side I take in the debate, but it's a tad ironic that Greg Dyke talks here about "grassroots football"

http://www.thefa.com/News/2014/oct/greg ... -follow-up

:roll: :doh: :mrgreen:
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

Lee K wrote:
The Beerhunter wrote:And some crap, our game against Romulus in the FA Cup springs to mind.
It doesn't spring to my mind, but if you'd have said FA Trophy.....
It was still a crap game.