Goalkeeper

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
The Beerhunter

Goalkeeper

Post by The Beerhunter »

With Craney suspended on December 10th, what do you think our options are?
Youth team keeper to play?
Loan signing?
Non contract signing of a keeper currently without a club?
We were talking about this yesterday and one name that came up was Nathan Vaughan, sacked by Evesham and as far as anyone knew, not playing. I think he played for Rob and Larry at Willenhall.
A good keeper if a bit mental :think:
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Rambling Syd

Re: Goalkeeper

Post by Rambling Syd »

At the early season Q & A Rob was confident that if required he had a reserve goalkeeper "on the end of the phone at a moments notice", lets hope he's not engaged!!

No real complaint with sendings of for handling outside the box in Craneys case, or mis-timed challenges (Pedro), but apart from that we really need to get a handle on discipline on the field. We might have a good squad buts its no help if we continue to lose players to dissent, fighting and pushing & shoving etc!
Grundle your parts - your own parts, not anybody elses!! It goes in this fashion.....
Michael

Post by Michael »

[quote="Rambling Syd"]

"No real complaint with sendings of for handling outside the box in Craneys case"

There is no such red card offence as handling outside the box. I wasn't there but the reason had to be that he was stopping a Stocksbridge player from having a clear scoring opportunity, or he should have received at worst a yellow for ungentlemanly conduct which is what outfield players get (if anything) for handling the ball
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Nathan Vaughan is a quality goalkeeper and would fit the bill for one game. As he has a suspect temperament he would also fit in well with our lads!
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Rambling Syd

Post by Rambling Syd »

Michael wrote:
Rambling Syd wrote:
"No real complaint with sendings of for handling outside the box in Craneys case"

There is no such red card offence as handling outside the box. I wasn't there but the reason had to be that he was stopping a Stocksbridge player from having a clear scoring opportunity, or he should have received at worst a yellow for ungentlemanly conduct which is what outfield players get (if anything) for handling the ball
Agreed, I was a ref myself a while ago. The point being that in terms of our disciplinary, rather than the incident itself, I would assume (not having seen it) that Craneys red card is nothing more than an error of judgement and open to the interpretation of the match official. Fighting, pushing and shoving and dissent to match officials are not, however, and it is these aspects which we need to cut out. Very costly in terms of personnel and easily avoidable with a bit of common sense!
Grundle your parts - your own parts, not anybody elses!! It goes in this fashion.....
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Rambling Syd wrote:I was a ref myself a while ago....
That's a very brave thing to admit on here!!

:roll: :mrgreen:

But taking seriously your own and Mike's points, we've learned already this season that officials don't seem to know the Laws of the game - or their current interpretation - any more (foul throws not given, same team allowed to retake a throw-in after pinching ten yards with the first attempt, keepers carrying the ball out of their box before kicking it [which makes Dan's red card all the more ironic], flagging for offside against players long before they become active, etc etc) so we'll just have to accept that we get refs who are officiating at this level for a reason.

And yes, we HAVE to cut out the dissent, AND GET REFS ON OUR SIDE rather than antagonising them. The fans will let them know when they get things wrong, the players don't need to....
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Funny old game - just watched last night's MOTD2, with Pepe Reina charging the ball down with his hand in a very similar incident to Dan's, albeit at least 10 yards further outside the box - referee's decision? - throw-in....

:roll: :evil:
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34