Old Player Watch

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Lee K

Re: Old Player Watch

Post by Lee K »

We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Pitmanchester

Post by Pitmanchester »

No mention of him doing any coaching, seems to have signed purely as a player.

I don't really understand why we wouldn't want to keep Danny.
Stuart Bowman
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Pitmanchester wrote: Fri Oct 30 2020 4:00 pm No mention of him doing any coaching, seems to have signed purely as a player.

I don't really understand why we wouldn't want to keep Danny.
We probably did want to keep him, but he decided to leave.
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Danny Glover has gone let's all move on, we still have three of the best strikers in the league in Turner, Sweeney and Dwyer. Plus with all the departures lately it should give us some spare coppers in the budget for a couple of decent signings at least.
Onwards and upwards.

UTP
Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

I agree with Keith.
As much as I liked Danny he has a bit of previous with this. When he left for Stockport he said that he didn't feel wanted here so I think we should all move on and concentrate on who's still here.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

To be fair to Danny, when he went to Stockport it was for a big increase in his wages. I'll never blame anyone for moving onto a bigger club, with good prospects and more money in their pocket. It's about self-improvement also and playing in front of 3000 fans (remember those days?!) for a team on the up is always going to be attractive for anyone.

That said, this chapter is behind us now. He moves on with our thanks and good wishes. Whether he establishes himself as Rushall's first choice remains to be seen as they have deep pockets over that way.
:scratchhead:
cds

Post by cds »

Very sad to see Danny go, but he does with the best wishes of everyone at KP (except on Boxing Day) who respect the work he did to keep us on the straight and narrow in some rocky times. A modern day great of the club and a man I hope returns one day as manager. However, no-one is bigger and the club and it is an area of the pitch we are well stacked in. I did get the feeling he wasn't too happy with then way things were going when I spoke to him after the Rushden game as he openly questioned some of the tactical decisions during the game

DG’s departure comes off the back of a debate we have been having at some of the away games recently about when is the appropriate time for a ‘freshening up’ of the squad and perhaps allowing some of the old guard to move on. It’s a tough balancing act to keep a continuity from season to season, but not holding on to players who are only here out of habit/geographical suitability/good terms with the club and don’t offer sufficient competition to the squad. There have been a good number of players in recent seasons who have had second/third/fourth spells at KP who seem to offer less and less value to the team every time they return, almost as if they are in a bit of a comfort zone when they return here and become complacent

In a nutshell - players should only be here if they fit the current manager's vision and not because they are ‘good guys’ who just so happen to be local and/or have shown previous loyalty to the club.
pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent HTFC
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

cds wrote: Sat Oct 31 2020 9:39 am

In a nutshell - players should only be here if they fit the current manager's vision and not because they are ‘good guys’ who just so happen to be local and/or have shown previous loyalty to the club.
so true
the phoenix will rise again
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

We've seen some of those players who fall into that category move on recently. They didn't set the world alight first time around and they weren't going to second time around. I don't know who bought these players in - was it Morrell or the Director of Football (we still don't know much about that role).

The obvious exception is Ben Bailey - he left us previously when I'm not sure he wanted to go, but the other night I thought he was outstanding. He was up against tricky opponents, but largely they were in his pocket and he capped the night with a fine goal.

Interesting comment about DG's questioning of tactics. I do subscribe to the view that there has flexibility in formation. Playing 3 up front with 2 wide men might be asking for trouble away from home or against certain opponents. KMR has said he will stick to his beliefs and so this will make for some entertaining, but also frustrating spectacles.
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Perton Pitman wrote: Sat Oct 31 2020 10:28 am We've seen some of those players who fall into that category move on recently. They didn't set the world alight first time around and they weren't going to second time around. I don't know who bought these players in - was it Morrell or the Director of Football (we still don't know much about that role).

The obvious exception is Ben Bailey - he left us previously when I'm not sure he wanted to go, but the other night I thought he was outstanding. He was up against tricky opponents, but largely they were in his pocket and he capped the night with a fine goal.

Interesting comment about DG's questioning of tactics. I do subscribe to the view that there has flexibility in formation. Playing 3 up front with 2 wide men might be asking for trouble away from home or against certain opponents. KMR has said he will stick to his beliefs and so this will make for some entertaining, but also frustrating spectacles.
It was interesting to watch us against Bromsgrove as there appeared to be fluidity between all the forwards with Allen, Turner, Dwyer all moving around the line and helping further back when not in possession. This could be the style KMR was talking about in his post match interview. I certainly don't think we are going to play to a rigid 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and players will be expected to work hard in varying positions during the game and match to match.
This is a system that would not require a target man as such and could go a long way towards explaining why it was agreed to let Danny Glover go.
Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

PitmanKeith wrote: Sat Oct 31 2020 10:51 am
Perton Pitman wrote: Sat Oct 31 2020 10:28 am We've seen some of those players who fall into that category move on recently. They didn't set the world alight first time around and they weren't going to second time around. I don't know who bought these players in - was it Morrell or the Director of Football (we still don't know much about that role).

It was interesting to watch us against Bromsgrove as there appeared to be fluidity between all the forwards with Allen, Turner, Dwyer all moving around the line and helping further back when not in possession. This could be the style KMR was talking about in his post match interview. I certainly don't think we are going to play to a rigid 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and players will be expected to work hard in varying positions during the game and match to match.
This is a system that would not require a target man as such and could go a long way towards explaining why it was agreed to let Danny Glover go.
See, I knew you were getting excited!
bigbryg1

Post by bigbryg1 »

you just can't keep a good striker Down Danny of the bench with a goal :clap:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Styche for Buxton, Sammons for Stratford:

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/results/2020-10
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

I'll take it this is Louis Keenan at Leek (the spelling of names seems to have become contentious!), in renowned company...

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

As was mentioned on another thread, lots of games on in the NPL last night while only two survived in the SLP - ironic, since some would have you believe Covid has hit the north harder...

Anyway, two OPs on the mark for Buxton, and we don't mind at all...

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/results

Joey Butlin with two for Chasetown, he's found his level...
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Cohen Bramill's team dumped out of the FA Cup by Marine
the phoenix will rise again
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

sheriff wrote: Sun Nov 08 2020 8:32 am Cohen Bramill's team dumped out of the FA Cup by Marine
Michael Howard scored Marine's winning penalty in the shoot out.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

The Beerhunter wrote: Sun Nov 08 2020 4:18 pm
sheriff wrote: Sun Nov 08 2020 8:32 am Cohen Bramill's team dumped out of the FA Cup by Marine
And Tyrone Barnett missed one for Eastleigh in their defeat...
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Lee K wrote: Sun Nov 08 2020 4:38 pm
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Glyn wrote: Mon Nov 09 2020 2:55 pm
Lee K wrote: Sun Nov 08 2020 4:38 pm
...apart from pulling on the Hednesford shirt :mrgreen:
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Jordan Tunnicliffe scored an important goal for Crawley in the Cup
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Perton Pitman wrote: Mon Nov 09 2020 5:38 pm Jordan Tunnicliffe scored an important goal for Crawley in the Cup
Indeed he did, but I think the forum moderator was hoping we'd gloss over it...

:twisted:

Jamie Osborne (Karen Carney's favourite player, I'm sure you all wanted to know that) fouled for the decisive penalty as Moors won at Scunthorpe...
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

Glyn wrote: Tue Nov 10 2020 7:07 am
Perton Pitman wrote: Mon Nov 09 2020 5:38 pm Jordan Tunnicliffe scored an important goal for Crawley in the Cup

Jamie Osborne (Karen Carney's favourite player, I'm sure you all wanted to know that) fouled for the decisive penalty as Moors won at Scunthorpe...
Jamie? :o
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

The Beerhunter wrote: Tue Nov 10 2020 9:05 am
Glyn wrote: Tue Nov 10 2020 7:07 am

Jamie? :o
Appalling! Sorry Jamey... for what it's worth, it's the way she would spoll it...

:roll: :doh: :oops: :twisted:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Jamey (sic) Osborne on the mark...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54887291