Hednesford Town Team Talk 2022/23

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Glyn

Re: Hednesford Town Team Talk 2022/23

Post by Glyn »

Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Johnny_91

Post by Johnny_91 »

An initial one month loan signing, goalkeeper from Sheffield Wednesday
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

I understand the loan of Ronnie Hollingshead has expired and he has returned to The Hawthorns.
Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Are we close to setting the record for the number of 'keeper's used in a single season?
:scratchhead:
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Perton Pitman wrote: Fri Feb 03 2023 3:48 pm Are we close to setting the record for the number of 'keeper's used in a single season?
I think we had nine a couple of seasons ago, haven't counted this year.
I'll have a look when I get five.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

PitmanKeith wrote: Fri Feb 03 2023 5:23 pm
Perton Pitman wrote: Fri Feb 03 2023 3:48 pm Are we close to setting the record for the number of 'keeper's used in a single season?
I think we had nine a couple of seasons ago, haven't counted this year.
I'll have a look when I get five.
Eh?

You retired folk have got all day!
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
C D S

Post by C D S »

Welcome Luke - you may be a busy boy in the next month!

Breakdown, by season, of goalkeepers since 2016-2017:

2016-2017 (3) Crane, Ransome, Wagstaff
2017-2018 (2) Wren, Veiga
2018-2019 (8) Bursik, Veiga, Brown, Eccles, Martinez, Deczki, Preston, Weaver
2019-2020 * (5) Platt, Veiga, Wycherley (twice), Rowley
2020-2021 * (3) Wycherley, Gregory, Veiga
2021-2022 (8) Wycherley, Brown, Clarkson, Basey (twice), O’Shaughnessy, Wollaston, Williams
2022-2023 (6 so far) Gwilliams, Williams, Brooks, Clayton, Hollingshead, Jackson

Grim reading but reflective of our spiral down the table over the years to where we are today as this creates no consistency in the ranks if the personnel in such a key position changes with alarming regularity. Once we get ourselves into this constant cycle of loanee keepers in a season, it’s seemingly endless.
www.pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent Hednesford Town
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

C D S wrote: Fri Feb 03 2023 8:43 pm Welcome Luke - you may be a busy boy in the next month!

2021-2022 (8) Wycherley, Brown, Clarkson, Basey (twice), O’Shaughnessy, Wollaston, Williams
2022-2023 (6 so far) Gwilliams, Williams, Brooks, Clayton, Hollingshead, Jackson

Grim reading but reflective of our spiral down the table over the years to where we are today as this creates no consistency in the ranks if the personnel in such a key position changes with alarming regularity. Once we get ourselves into this constant cycle of loanee keepers in a season, it’s seemingly endless.
Thanks mate that's saved me the bother even though apparently I have all the time in the world to do it.🙄
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Graham signs on one month loan from Kettering

https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/2023/0 ... -keys-park
Scott

Post by Scott »

C D S wrote: Fri Feb 03 2023 8:43 pm Welcome Luke - you may be a busy boy in the next month!

Thanks for this Chris - really interesting to see. As good as he was, that Bursik signing did us no favours with his England call-ups meaning another four keepers had to be used to cover for him.

Probably no record this season (although you never know!) but as you say it shows the importance of a permanent goalkeeper in the side for a long period of time.
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Lee K

Post by Lee K »

PitmanKeith wrote: Tue Feb 07 2023 9:14 pm https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/2023/0 ... rts-pitmen

Lewis Ison leaves Keys Park
I reckon he’ll either go to Leamington or Nuneaton will tip their buckets upside down.

It’s disappointing that a player decides to leave us in the position we are in, but his future doesn’t lie with us anyway. He can easily play at Step 2 or 3, he won’t want to play for us at Step 4 next season and neither should he. Plus, the league we’ll be in wouldn’t suit a player based in Coventry either.
He’s been one of our best players this season (and last) and he always gives 100% which is not something you can say about many Hednesford players at the moment.
akb junior

Post by akb junior »

It’s decisions like this I really struggle to get my head around.

I think everyone can agree that Lewis Ison was comfortably our best player and clearly deserves to play step 2/3 next season. However, surely the whole point of him being on contract is so that if another team does want to sign him they either pay a fee or wait for his contract to expire? Him wishing to sign for another team simply doesn’t cut it for me, especially after apparently having a pay rise recently. He agreed to the wages, contract length etc. and therefore this should be honoured. There should also be no need to increase his wages during this period as he’s under contract and cannot (in theory) go anywhere else without our say so.

I wouldn’t have had a problem with him leaving in the summer to continue playing step 3 football or maybe even signing for someone like Leamington, as I believe he is good enough for step 2. I feel how this has been handled makes us seem like a soft touch and makes a contract not worth the paper it’s written on.

I’m sure there is other contributing factors that I am not aware of, but from the outside looking in that’s how it comes across.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

akb junior wrote: Tue Feb 07 2023 10:30 pm It’s decisions like this I really struggle to get my head around.

I think everyone can agree that Lewis Ison was comfortably our best player and clearly deserves to play step 2/3 next season. However, surely the whole point of him being on contract is so that if another team does want to sign him they either pay a fee or wait for his contract to expire? Him wishing to sign for another team simply doesn’t cut it for me, especially after apparently having a pay rise recently. He agreed to the wages, contract length etc. and therefore this should be honoured. There should also be no need to increase his wages during this period as he’s under contract and cannot (in theory) go anywhere else without our say so.

I wouldn’t have had a problem with him leaving in the summer to continue playing step 3 football or maybe even signing for someone like Leamington, as I believe he is good enough for step 2. I feel how this has been handled makes us seem like a soft touch and makes a contract not worth the paper it’s written on.

I’m sure there is other contributing factors that I am not aware of, but from the outside looking in that’s how it comes across.
Exactly. If he’s tried his luck and the club have let him go, the club only has itself to blame if it has difficulties in the future with other players…
Ross

Post by Ross »

I really wish the club handled these situations better. I understand they there will be frustrations but it always feels like every press release is written with personal emotion.

It just needs to say Ison has decided his future lies away from the club we wish him well in the future.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Well the season just lurches on from one crisis to another in a catalogue of disasters that seems never ending.
At the start of the season all most supporters were asking for was a season of stability and consolidation, let's have a look at what we got.
Three managers
58 players used on teamsheets
6 goalkeepers (three of which were loans)
Bottom of the league all season.

The club statement on the departure of Lewis Ison is nothing short of horrible, not even a thank you for his 80+ appearances, most as captain, it does not make good reading. There was also a retort from the player on the club FB page which was quickly removed, I assume by the club. Its also disturbing that players are simply allowed to walk away from contracts, it's happened too many times in the last 12 months

The club appears to be in crisis and looking from outside does not give a great impression at this time. Why is this so, who knows but it is a situation that simply cannot be allowed to continue.

I suppose this will be seen as criticism in some quarters, but it's just a passionate statement from someone who loves my football club.

In all honesty where do we go from here.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Can't see the point of contracts any more!
Ison was the one shining light in what has been a desperate season.
Can see both sides of the argument. He won't want to be a step 4 player, nor should he, but a contract is a contract.
The slate is wiping itself clean it appears.
So, it begs the question as to who our player of the season will be.
Take your pick from Bennett, Parker and O'sullivan folks. Everyone else has been here 5 minutes!
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Perton Pitman wrote: Wed Feb 08 2023 6:43 am Can't see the point of contracts any more!
Ison was the one shining light in what has been a desperate season.
Can see both sides of the argument. He won't want to be a step 4 player, nor should he, but a contract is a contract.
The slate is wiping itself clean it appears.
So, it begs the question as to who our player of the season will be.
Take your pick from Bennett, Parker and O'sullivan folks. Everyone else has been here 5 minutes!
Add an abstention vote to that list.🤣🤣
Del

Post by Del »

PitmanKeith wrote: Wed Feb 08 2023 5:52 am
The club statement on the departure of Lewis Ison is nothing short of horrible, not even a thank you for his 80+ appearances, most as captain, it does not make good reading. There was also a retort from the player on the club FB page which was quickly removed, I assume by the club. Its also disturbing that players are simply allowed to walk away from contracts, it's happened too many times in the last 12 months
Having seen that post by Lewis Ison I cannot understand in any way why a Moderator would have deleted it.
Having re-read it just now and giving it some considerable thought ... free speech is allowed on this form providing it does not contradict our rules - and this doesn't!

"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Graham Jones

Post by Graham Jones »

Because he was a paid player by the club having a pop at a supporter.

We also spoke clearly in our forum stating things would be monitored on socials closely, as we are at our end for abusive online behaviour. We are trying to stop snowball effects.

There’s also a lot more behind the scenes to this. I shall not go through in any forum, for being respectful.

Maybe consider also what’s been told the club behind the scenes to envoke such action and agreement. Instead again I read all on the club.

Maybe consider his next club, that I’m informed has already spoken with the player despite him being on contract. As we was told where he is off. Then a few more pennies will drop.

Also fyi don’t expect this to be the last of changes.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Graham Jones wrote: Wed Feb 08 2023 7:56 am Because he was a paid player by the club having a pop at a supporter.

We also spoke clearly in our forum stating things would be monitored on socials closely, as we are at our end for abusive online behaviour. We are trying to stop snowball effects.

There’s also a lot more behind the scenes to this. I shall not go through in any forum, for being respectful.

Maybe consider also what’s been told the club behind the scenes to envoke such action and agreement. Instead again I read all on the club.

Maybe consider his next club, that I’m informed has already spoken with the player despite him being on contract. As we was told where he is off. Then a few more pennies will drop.

Also fyi don’t expect this to be the last of changes.
I hope the club is going to report an illegal approach then. Letting them get away with it isn’t going to help anyone.
Ross

Post by Ross »

But Graham do you not see that all these “rules” you’re putting in place are causing an even bigger rift between you and the supporters?

The comment from Lewis is just him
Defending himself from comments something you have done many times.

Would it not be better to get a social media manager or someone independent to manage the social media channels? As I have mentioned previously the way it is being ran now is creating pr disaster after pr disaster
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

I have sympathy for the club as they have invested in Ison by giving him a contract and then a pay rise. Contracts give players security and they work both ways. If he thought anything of the club he would at least say to the club that is poaching him that he expects his transfer (that is what it is !!!) to be handled properly and HTFC paid a fee.
No idea what has gone on , but history tells us that players have a habit of downing tools when they want to engineer a move away.
I know Ison has done well for us, but it is a poor reflection on him and his new club.
As far as I'm concerned he has behaved in a shoddy manner and what goes around comes around - he will do well to remember that.
I'm hoping that next season we won't bother with contracts - they are largely worthless and in the case of Bennett and O'Sullivan, have caused us massive issues this season.
Graham Jones

Post by Graham Jones »

Ross wrote: Wed Feb 08 2023 9:31 am But Graham do you not see that all these “rules” you’re putting in place are causing an even bigger rift between you and the supporters?

The comment from Lewis is just him
Defending himself from comments something you have done many times.

Would it not be better to get a social media manager or someone independent to manage the social media channels? As I have mentioned previously the way it is being ran now is creating pr disaster after pr disaster
Bit late for all that.

Let’s put it like this, since our arrival we have fought battle after battle for the good of the club, only to be shafted at most turns.

If we spoke the truth in full, we get fined as a club. Yet we’re expected to take it fully.

It’s not acceptable.

There are good reasons for this move in this particular circumstance, and also very, very poor reasons.

Can’t say any more than that to be fair.

Easy answer for most, blame the club, before stopping to ask why.

Ah well.