Old Player Watch

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Glyn

Re: Old Player Watch

Post by Glyn »

Lee K wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 12:09 am I saw Devarn Green play for Scunthorpe at Walsall last night in League 2. I’m not sure how he ended up there but still...
You texted me about that last evening and it started me thinking about players who have been distinctly mediocre at HTFC yet gone on to enjoy careers at a higher level.... I'll add Bohan Dixon for starters, but there's a long list - this thread or a new one...?
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Glyn wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 10:27 am
Lee K wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 12:09 am I saw Devarn Green play for Scunthorpe at Walsall last night in League 2. I’m not sure how he ended up there but still...
You texted me about that last evening and it started me thinking about players who have been distinctly mediocre at HTFC yet gone on to enjoy careers at a higher level.... I'll add Bohan Dixon for starters, but there's a long list - this thread or a new one...?
I’m not sure Bohan Dixon was “distinctly mediocre” at HTFC. He came on against Stafford Rangers in the 5-4 win when we were losing and completely changed the game. I’m not sure that we saw him again for some reason, or before for that matter.

Anyone else recall him in any other games?

http://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/2011/08 ... rd-rangers
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Lee K wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 11:53 am
I’m not sure Bohan Dixon was “distinctly mediocre” at HTFC. He came on against Stafford Rangers in the 5-4 win when we were losing and completely changed the game. I’m not sure that we saw him again for some reason, or before for that matter.

I’ve now done my own research (as would no doubt have been demanded...) and apart from the above game Dixon made two other sub appearances - one in the game before where he played for 10 minutes and one in the game after where he played 16 minutes.
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

How about Karl Hawley?
Awful on loan for us,went on to play over 400 games in the Football League.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Jordan Cranston - played in the EFL for Morecambe after leaving us and now at Solihull.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

... and Jordan Tunnicliffe... I'll think of more, bear with me... James McQuilkin...??
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Paul Ennis...
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Lee K wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 12:01 pm

I’ve now done my own research (as would no doubt have been demanded...) and apart from the above game Dixon made two other sub appearances - one in the game before where he played for 10 minutes and one in the game after where he played 16 minutes.
One of life's great mysteries mate. As was how we came to sign him in the first place (spotted playing Sunday League in Liverpool if I remember...)
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Glyn wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 3:31 pm

One of life's great mysteries mate. As was how we came to sign him in the first place (spotted playing Sunday League in Liverpool if I remember...)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohan_Dixon
Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
cds

Post by cds »

Adding to the list of unmemorable ex-Hednesford players with impressive CVs since leaving KP:
Adam McGurk
Rene Gilmartin
Lloyd Kerry
Curtis Tilt
Montel Gibson
Richard Brush
Matthew Barnes-Homer
Danny Lupano

The list could be quite exhaustive!
pitmenweb.co.uk - Independent HTFC
owen1980

Post by owen1980 »

Hi all,

I am just throwing this out there to be as transparent as possible. I am not trying to sell anything and although I do like watching Hednesford Town, Chasetown, Stafford Rangers and Tamworth,I am for my sins an Aston Villa fan and season ticket holder to boot. So apologies in advance. I am a son of the area and my dad has the sports hall at Erasmus Darwin School (used to be Chasetown High) named after him. If that aids my argument for authenticity at all.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I am writing a book about Hednesford Town's greatest ever footballer, Stephen Smith called 'Local Hero', it will be published next year. He won all manner of local trophies with The Pitmen before winning the double with the Villa and the Southern League with Portsmouth and his winning goal against Scotland in 1895 made England de facto World Champions by winning the Home International Championship.

In writing the book I found his final resting place in a tiny church in Benson, Oxfordshire and unfortunately, he is buried in an unmarked grave. I have contacted his former clubs and so far Benson council and Portsmouth FC have helped in terms of the project of funding a headstone to mark the life of this significant midland sportsman. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of contacting anyone at Hednesford Town as I have sent emails but got no reply? I think it would be great to get HTFC involved as the area has the greatest claim to him in my opinion.

Cheers, Owen Arthur
PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

cds wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 4:28 pm Adding to the list of unmemorable ex-Hednesford players with impressive CVs since leaving KP:
Adam McGurk
Rene Gilmartin
Lloyd Kerry
Curtis Tilt
Montel Gibson
Richard Brush
Matthew Barnes-Homer
Danny Lupano

Six of those were only loans anyway.
Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

PitmanKeith wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 4:20 pm
Glyn wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 3:31 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohan_Dixon
Remarkable!
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

PitmanKeith wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 8:56 pm
cds wrote: Wed Dec 30 2020 4:28 pm Adding to the list of unmemorable ex-Hednesford players with impressive CVs since leaving KP:
Adam McGurk
Rene Gilmartin
Lloyd Kerry
Curtis Tilt
Montel Gibson
Richard Brush
Matthew Barnes-Homer
Danny Lupano

Six of those were only loans anyway.
Still a good list though.

I liked McGurk. Took a very good corner in the POSF at Chippenham, if memory serves, though it doesn't always!
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Lloyd Kerry red card at Cambridge (it's all going rather pear-shaped for Harrogate...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55512386
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Jordan Tunnicliffe with another goal for Crawley in their cup run.
:scratchhead:
cds

Post by cds »

Mike Howard watching on from the bench as Marine are being handed a spanking by Spurs on the council telly
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

cds wrote: Sun Jan 10 2021 5:49 pm Mike Howard watching on from the bench as Marine are being handed a spanking by Spurs on the council telly
Good spot.

For anyone watching Marine v Spurs who doesn't know their non-league football as most of us do, Marine used to play in white. But now if they wish to make a change they bring on a yellow sub, Marine. Thank you, I really am here all week...
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

cds wrote: Sun Jan 10 2021 5:49 pm Mike Howard watching on from the bench as Marine are being handed a spanking by Spurs on the council telly
And on for the second half. Just needing the five goals. No pressure then...
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Beer Hunter spotted and mentioned on Facebook that James Ellison was also on the bench for Marine.

Add him to that list of players who turned out in our shirt but didn't impress... (so much so that he couldn't even remember him! - I seem to recall him coming on as sub at Cirencester and doing precisely nothing...)
cds

Post by cds »

Glyn wrote: Mon Jan 11 2021 9:31 am
Beer Hunter spotted and mentioned on Facebook that James Ellison was also on the bench for Marine.

Add him to that list of players who turned out in our shirt but didn't impress... (so much so that he couldn't even remember him! - I seem to recall him coming on as sub at Cirencester and doing precisely nothing...)
The James Ellison on the bench yesterday was a 20 year-old left-back so a different guy to the striker we had many moons ago. I think he may have jacked it in a while back after doing the tour of the North West non-league scene as he doesn’t appear to have played for anyone since 2015
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

cds wrote: Mon Jan 11 2021 12:15 pm
Glyn wrote: Mon Jan 11 2021 9:31 am

The James Ellison on the bench yesterday was a 20 year-old left-back so a different guy to the striker we had many moons ago. I think he may have jacked it in a while back after doing the tour of the North West non-league scene as he doesn’t appear to have played for anyone since 2015
Aha! Good spot... I'll mention it to BH on FB!

:twisted:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Taylor Allen and Dan Turner have scored Leamington’s goals as they lead 2-1 at Chorley.
Del

Post by Del »

Glyn wrote: Mon Jan 11 2021 2:14 pm Aha! Good spot... I'll mention it to BH on FB!
:twisted:
(yellowcard) - text abbreviations!

mpt (muppet)
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21