MATCH REVIEWS - Stocksbridge PS v HTFC

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Glyn

MATCH REVIEWS - Stocksbridge PS v HTFC

Post by Glyn »

Please post match reviews on this thread only - duplicate threads will be locked or deleted
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Del

Re: MATCH REVIEWS - Stocksbridge PS v HTFC

Post by Del »

Stockbridge Park Steels 4 - 0 Pitmen

Please vote for your man of the match:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=206
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Dobba
Site Admin

Post by Dobba »

This should be a good'n.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Rushall 2 Strangers 1
Kendal 3 Mickleover 3
Ashton 2 Frickley 0
Nantwich 0 Buxton 0
SPS 4 Pitmen 0
Chorley 2 Whitby 2

Not too much damage in terms of our league position, but a chance missed and we are going to have problems fielding strong sides before Xmas

FAT 3Q
Stour 0 Chester 2
Vics 1 Ilson 1 (the game on the 10th is still on at the moment)
Matlock 0 Hyde 1 - our game goes ahead on Wednesday. Can we keep 11 on the pitch please?! How will we respond to today????
:scratchhead:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Dobba wrote:This should be a good'n.
I'll stick by my rule of never commenting on games I don't attend - other than to say

a) Glad I couldn't go

b) I did ask about discipline at the pre-season Meet the Management evening

:evil:

... and

c) We've lauded Rob and Larry for their ability to manage the squad, it's going to be tested big-time now, not least in finding a decent keeper for one game...

:|
Del

Post by Del »

Looks like the Youth Team could find themselves missing a few key players as they get called up for First Team duties!!
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Jas

Post by Jas »

Is the Youth team goalie ready for the step up?

Also Wellecome is out for 4 games, Pedro I think for 1 but what will it be for Craney and Big Marv?
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

BPA hammered Cashtown 4 0 (crows 242!) so we didn't get off that lightly
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here are my comments -

Dan Crane unlucky to be sent off. I didn't see if he handled it, but if so I though a red card was extremely harsh. I know by the letter of the law its a red if it's a goal scoring opportunity, but I think the referee over-reacted.

Marv's red card was silly, but.. just prior to this, the Stocksbridge defender had gone down adamant that Marv had elbowed him (and he hadn't), and the ref took the ball for the drop ball, and chucked it to the SPS keeper when Marv wasn't looking! Marv obvioulsy felt cheated and got a red card for telling the ref what he thought of him.

We had no chance today with 9 men and no goalkeeper, against the 12 men of Stocksbridge.
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

Mark wrote:Here are my comments -

Dan Crane unlucky to be sent off. I didn't see if he handled it, but if so I though a red card was extremely harsh. I know by the letter of the law its a red if it's a goal scoring opportunity, but I think the referee over-reacted.

Marv's red card was silly, but.. just prior to this, the Stocksbridge defender had gone down adamant that Marv had elbowed him (and he hadn't), and the ref took the ball for the drop ball, and chucked it to the SPS keeper when Marv wasn't looking! Marv obvioulsy felt cheated and got a red card for telling the ref what he thought of him.

We had no chance today with 9 men and no goalkeeper, against the 12 men of Stocksbridge.
I like your efforts at attempting to condone Marv's actions, however it's not the first time he has been sent off for foul and abusive language to a muppet (my source tells me the red was for that).

Its only one game, no better way to get this out of the system by taking our revenge out on Matlock!
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
TerryMc

Post by TerryMc »

Lee K wrote:
Mark wrote:Here are my comments -

I like your efforts at attempting to condone Marv's actions, however it's not the first time he has been sent off for foul and abusive language to a muppet (my source tells me the red was for that).

Its only one game, no better way to get this out of the system by taking our revenge out on Matlock!
There is no condoning Marvin's red card, it is indefensible, he is a former professional footballer, a real nice guy but 'lost it'! He should know better.
I think Dan Crane was very unlucky as the ball held up in the wet and windy conditions, so the big man travelled further than he had instinctively planned to do. No problem with the referee's decision though.
Once we had lost our goalkeeper it was always going to be an uphill struggle but I think we still had the quality on the field to get something from the game, unfortunately, one or two of our players didn't believe this and faded from the game as the second goal went in. The last two goals in the dying minutes of the game put a very unflattering look to the scoreline but we knew we had lost the game by then having lost big Marvin a few minutes earlier.
SPS have been a bit of a bogey team for us this season, getting the draw against the run of play at Keys Park and now giving us a bloody nose at their place. However, this was a freak result and I am sure that Rob and Larry will get the players back on track.
The current situation with suspensions etc. is getting very delicate though and we will need to take some actions to strengthen the squad to get us over this period.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Not a single vote for MoM when I looked 10 minutes ago, I know there was only a small (crows) there but if that included you, please vote, or I'll have to break one of my rules and vote even though I didn't see the game

:roll: :twisted:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

TerryMc wrote:we will need to take some actions to strengthen the squad to get us over this period.
... sounds like a man in the know....

:roll: ;) :mrgreen:
Real Ale Fan On Tour

Post by Real Ale Fan On Tour »

Glyn wrote:Not a single vote for MoM when I looked 10 minutes ago, I know there was only a small (crows) there but if that included you, please vote, or I'll have to break one of my rules and vote even though I didn't see the game

:roll: :twisted:
All somewhat dejected on way back, so we didn't do a MoM on the coach, a game to forget!!
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Can some clarification be given on the situation regarding suspensions, i.e. who is missing what games?

Ta (cheers)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Perton Pitman wrote:Can some clarification be given on the situation regarding suspensions, i.e. who is missing what games?

Ta (cheers)
From what I'm lead to believe Perton:

Wellers - Matlock Town, Ashton United, Northwich Victoria, Worksop Town

Marv - Northwich Victoria, Worksop Town, West Bromwich Albion

Craney - Northwich Victoria

Pedro - Northwich Victoria

All weather permitting of course!
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

I went up to Stocksbridge on the Travel Club bus yesterday and here's my take on things.
Unfortunately, due to legal reasons I am unable to comment on events between 3pm and 3.45pm and also 4pm and 4.45pm ;)
The weather on the way up was warm and sunny, we even saw a rainbow just after Meadowhall shopping centre but on arrival in Stocksbridge (up a bloody big hill), it was cold wet and very windy.
So we made the 100 yard journey further up the hill to the Miners Arms. This was a basic locals pub where we received a warm welcome and free food on the bar (pork pie, sausage rolls and bread and dripping- a lovely northern delicacy). They also had four beers from the local Bradfield Brewery.
These were Farmers Pale Ale (5%), Farmers Brown Cow (4.2%), Farmers Blonde (4%) and the Christmas Ale, Farmers Belgian Blue (4.9%) which was bloody lovely! and all were £2.10 a pint :o
We went down to the unusually named Look Local Stadium at around 2.50pm for a meat and potato pie and at 3.46pm we went into the Bracken Moor Social Club for a half time pint, Bradfield Belgian Blue was on sale but this time at £2.40 a pint, still cheap enough though!.
Upon the game's conclusion we returned to the Miners Arms for a last pint before our journey home.
We finished the night in the Cross Keys where the Salopian Oracle was a relatively extortionate £2.75 a pint, discussing the vaguaries of non league football with the Chasetown Manager.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

The Beerhunter wrote:....and at 4.46pm we went into the Bracken Moor Social Club for a half time pint...
The ref played an hour's overtime at the end of the first half then did he?

Bl00dy referees....

:roll: :doh:

(I think I owed you one?! :twisted: :mrgreen: )
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

Glyn wrote:
The Beerhunter wrote:....and at 4.46pm we went into the Bracken Moor Social Club for a half time pint...
The ref played an hour's overtime at the end of the first half then did he?

Bl00dy referees....

:roll: :doh:

(I think I owed you one?! :twisted: :mrgreen: )
Fair play (but I've edited it now so everyone will think you're mad) :)
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Scramble Harry

Post by Scramble Harry »

I would only call this day an "Adventure" and we didn't really come away with any sense of achievement. Stocksbridge was a nice enough place and the people were friendly enough. The Miners Arms treated us to Real Ale at £2.10 a pint and free pork pie, sausage rolls and bread & dripping. Full Marks for hospitality.

Now I haven't yet read any of the posts above this one, but here is my viewpoint on the game. Both red cards were red cards, there can't really be any argument against that. Handball by a keeper outside his area is nailed on, whether it is intentional, instinctive, cheeky or accidental. Marv's was born out of frustration and there is no excuse for abusing a match official. I do have issue with the build up to this though.

2 SSP players were injured and we had possession. The ref duly stopped the game and then re-started it with an un-announced, uncontested drop ball by throwing it to the home keeper 25 yards from where the ball was when play had stopped. Its his job to enforce the laws of the game and not make them up as he sees fit. He didn't give us much else during the game, but as a Southern Club in a Northern League with a Northern ref, then those who like conspiracy theories will be rubbing their hands with glee.

We didn't help ourselves, but were still the better team for probably 50 minutes. We had early chances with runners exploiting our hosts defensive frailties. They aren't in the relegation places for nothing! Our play in the final third let us down though and our failure to take advantage came back to bite us in the bum! We even looked comfortable after Dan was sent off and immense praise for Camps for going in goal. It must be a bit like taking a penalty in a shoot out - if you don't want one, then you don't take one. He obviously felt comfortable and confident enough to take the gloves and pink shirt and give it a go.

Stuart Ford was an interesting spectator being a mate of Dan's and official supplier of his gloves. Having long since retired from football, I doubt he would have been able to do a better job then Darren though.

It was a bad performance in the second half and although SSP deserved the win, 4 goals flatters them slightly. I am very disappointed with the way we seemingly caved in so easily to pressure, without them taking full advantage of the situation. It could have been a whole lot worse folks! R & L's new striker substitution rotation scheme struck again, although that can't be blamed for what went on. Fingers crossed that this was just a bad day at the office, we all have those once in a while and in the grand scheme of things it isn't a disaster. There are a whole lot more important things than football.

Rest In Peace Gary Speed.
"I never said it was going to be easy"
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Re: suspensions. How come the WBA game (20/12) counts and the Newcastle game (13/12) doesn't??
    Scott

Post by Scott »

Perton Pitman wrote:
      Re: suspensions. How come the WBA game (20/12) counts and the Newcastle game (13/12) doesn't??
      I'm sure Terry Mac will be able to answer in more detail but I think it's becasue the WBA game is in the Birmingham Senior Cup an FA, which is our parent FA. The Staffs FA isnt our parent one, meaning suspensions don't count in Staffs Senior Cup fixtures.
      PitmanKeith

Post by PitmanKeith »

Scott wrote:
      Perton Pitman wrote:
        I'm sure Terry Mac will be able to answer in more detail but I think it's becasue the WBA game is in the Birmingham Senior Cup an FA, which is our parent FA. The Staffs FA isnt our parent one, meaning suspensions don't count in Staffs Senior Cup fixtures.

Spot on Scott
        Just riding along on the crest of a wave in HMS Pitmen
        TerryMc

Post by TerryMc »

Scott wrote:
        Perton Pitman wrote:
          Can't be more detailed than that Scottie!
          Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Thanks for clarifying. Can't help feeling that the hand of bureaucracy is at play here after all a game is either competitive or it isn't and the SSC is on a par with the BSC in my book.

The rationale for entering one competition over another is slightly stronger as you can't use one as a means of 'managing' a suspension