MATCH REVIEWS - Pitmen v Chorley

The latest news and views from Keys Park.
Glyn

MATCH REVIEWS - Pitmen v Chorley

Post by Glyn »

Please post match reviews on this thread only - duplicate threads will be locked or deleted
Don't worry. Mt 6:25-34
Del

Re: MATCH REVIEWS - Pitmen v Chorley

Post by Del »

Pitmen 2 - 0 Chorley

Please vote for your Man of the Match:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=188
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Super performance from the lads in the face of a physical, direct Chorley side (2 lumbering centre halves who kicked it as far as they could for the forwards to chase) and a ref who gave a dreadful performance. Clearly Chorley were intent of giving Ozzy and Clem an 'uncomfortable ' afternoon and given the scandalous lack of protection given, it was no surprise to see Ozzy hobble off (he was MoM in my eyes).

Turning points were a superb tackle from Chey to deny the Chorley forward when he was about to the pull the trigger (tackle of the season for me and worth a goal in a sense) and a great block from Dan when he was faced with a stirker clean through on goal on the stroke of half time.

The substitution of Wellers was controversial at the time, but was vindicated with Danks pulling the back four all over the place in the second half - well done to the management for a brave move.

Two fine goals for Hay (excellent header for the second) and I have to say selfless performances from Denny and Clem (note him tracking back to dispose the Chorley winger in the second half) who put the team ahead of personal causes

Well done lads - a great result in the face of some questionable tactics and officiating

Good crows and a fine atmosphere.

ROll on Tuesday for what promises to be another tough game!
:scratchhead:
Dobba
Site Admin

Post by Dobba »

As PP has pointed out the two huge moments in the game (goals aside) were two pieces of individual brilliance from Chey and Craney respectively. The timing of the latter's save with what was literally the last kick of the first half was the definition of a game changing moment.

Can't fault any of the players who put the shirt on today, they all put a shift in despite some having lumps kicked out of them by thugs posing as footballers.

Worst referee we've had all season, some of the stuff he let them get away with was ridiculous. A 30 second spell summed his day up perfectly, gave a foul throw against us for trying to gain a few yards then on the resulting throw for them did nothing as their player took it from 4 yards further up the field.
Jas

Post by Jas »

Nice Match report PP, nothing much I can add to that.
TerryMc

Post by TerryMc »

Really enjoyed the game today, I thought we were excellent in all areas of the pitch and it would be very difficult for me to select the man of the match.
Pedro Monteiro is looking a different class in defence and what an inspired signing Gary Hay has proved to be (well done Rob and Larry!). At 35 years old a manager could be forgiven for thinking that Gaz's best days were behind him - the man has been brilliant since his first five minutes on the field when we played Matlock Town in the league. Two goals today and a work rate that puts younger men to shame!
Some great moments already highlighted by other contributors above but today was a first class team performance against a very physical Chorley side and keeps us well in touch with Northwich Vics and Chester.
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

Re: post above, I meant disposess not dispose - although the end result was the same! :-D
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Funny old game, game of opinions..... I have also been known to criticise officials.... :roll:

And yet the man standing next to me and I both thought the ref had a good game - he made factual mistakes like over-ruling his lino for a corner (well, one of them got it wrong!) and giving a throw-in the wrong way - but in terms of NOT doling out cards like confetti, that's fine by me - refs have a habit that, once they've started they can't stop - indeed once he gave the first to Chorley fairly late in the game they picked up several more (and Jay got one for a fairly insipid challenge). Oh, and he spotted all the offside flags too, which seems to have been a problem for our last two refs!!

Hey ho, to the game - yes, Craney was a MoM contender for me despite Gary's two well-taken goals, usual tireless harrying of the defence, and a candidate for miss of the season; Che immense yet again, Pele classy again, Shaw proving one of Rob and Larry's most astute signings..... the list could go on throughout the team, because everyone, including subs, played a key role today - and indeed the fact that we have players of the calibre of Danks, Jevons and Durrell to bring on - Bailey and Grice who we know would not let us down - speaks volumes about the quality squad which has been assembled

The irony which emerged from the game for me today was that Chorley are clearly a very good team - the trip up there will be a tough one - yet they paid the price for a defensive howler, missed some good chances of their own and finally succumbed to our improved second-half display - yet their better chance of a result today might have been to "do a Matlock" and park the bus. Glad they didn't, it made for a third most enjoyable game in 8 days

:clap:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Official (crows) 577

http://evostikleague.pitchero.com/results.php

My (crows)-estimating skills don't get any better do they!!

:roll:
Perton Pitman

Post by Perton Pitman »

You must be having a cease fire where refs are concerned. Had a real problem with his lenient approach to the continual roughing up of Ozzy in particular. Clattered from behind and hauled down when he had gone past guys is not on and on another day this would have been nipped in the bud by an early card. i agree that refs are prone to giving no cards in the first half then six or seven in the second. Where's the consistency that we all crave?!

I'll give you tips on crows estimation!
Jay

Post by Jay »

The work rate of the players over the past few games has been fantastic imo. Cannot wait for Tuesday and would love to see a big turnout to get behind the lads again.
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

Perton Pitman has got it spot on. There were two definite yellows for their guys in the first half.
I'm all for allowing the advantage rule but not at the expense of fouls which warrant obvious bookings.
Anyway, thought today was probably the best performance I've seen from us this season.
Everybody played well. Well done boys!
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
Del

Post by Del »

Piece of useless info:

193 text updates received yesterday afternoon from 3 radio cars: Glyn, Perton Pitman & Jas

:clap:
"My Mum always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana"

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
Original HTFCSA #2
Original PPD number 21
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Perton Pitman wrote:You must be having a cease fire where refs are concerned. Had a real problem with his lenient approach to the continual roughing up of Ozzy in particular. Clattered from behind and hauled down when he had gone past guys is not on and on another day this would have been nipped in the bud by an early card. i agree that refs are prone to giving no cards in the first half then six or seven in the second. Where's the consistency that we all crave?!

LOL

Game of opinions on the first one, as I said - my concern is that when they start dishing out cards to one team they seem to think they have to give one or two to the other team as well, regardless of the merits of the incident - cf Jay Denny's card for nothing yesterday - and as we learned the other day that we have several players near the threshold, we don't need any more - Danksy was arguing with one daft decision against him yesterday, risking a yellow, the ref wasn't going to change his decision so, although we all rail against bad decisions, there's no point in the players doing so - Chris Shaw is a great example of this, when fouls are given against or perpetrated on him, he just gets on with the game

Second one, yes please. :mrgreen: (or maybe I should just ask Dave Smith, his estimates are usually pretty close.... :roll: ;) :mrgreen: )
Lee K

Post by Lee K »

I thought it turned into a very rough game and that was all down to the referee failing to give any cards in the first half. I text my mate after our first goal and said the referee had lost control. I still think he did. I don't know whats going on with Glyn's current love-in with refs but something's going on.
I thought we played well, and more importantly, battled well. Chorley reduced this game to a battle with their physical attitude and we stood up to it really well. MOM for me was Shaw, he played more of a third centre back role than left back and his heading was excellent, and he covered really well for the two centre backs. A title winning team also needs a keeper to make crucial saves and Craney did that today. I don't think Wellers was injured when he came off but I said we needed Danks or Durrell on to use their pace against their heavies at the back and Rob saw that too. Another excellent tactical substitution winning the points.
I'm still concerned about Pedro I'm afraid. Numerous mistakes again yesterday almost led to goals and for me he remains our weakest link.
We’re on our way, we’re on our way, to the EFL, we’re on our way (26/01/24)
TerryMc

Post by TerryMc »

Glyn wrote:
Perton Pitman wrote:You must be having a cease fire where refs are concerned. Had a real problem with his lenient approach to the continual roughing up of Ozzy in particular. Clattered from behind and hauled down when he had gone past guys is not on and on another day this would have been nipped in the bud by an early card. i agree that refs are prone to giving no cards in the first half then six or seven in the second. Where's the consistency that we all crave?!

LOL

Game of opinions on the first one, as I said - my concern is that when they start dishing out cards to one team they seem to think they have to give one or two to the other team as well, regardless of the merits of the incident - cf Jay Denny's card for nothing yesterday - and as we learned the other day that we have several players near the threshold, we don't need any more - Danksy was arguing with one daft decision against him yesterday, risking a yellow, the ref wasn't going to change his decision so, although we all rail against bad decisions, there's no point in the players doing so - Chris Shaw is a great example of this, when fouls are given against or perpetrated on him, he just gets on with the game

Second one, yes please. :mrgreen: (or maybe I should just ask Dave Snith, his estimates are usually pretty close.... :roll: ;) :mrgreen: )

Who's Dave Snith?
:shock:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

TerryMc wrote:
Glyn wrote: Second one, yes please. :mrgreen: (or maybe I should just ask Dave Snith, his estimates are usually pretty close.... :roll: ;) :mrgreen: )

Who's Dave Snith?
As I've said before, you find out who your friends are on this forum....

some of us email our chums when they've made spolling errers

:twisted: :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:
TerryMc

Post by TerryMc »

Glyn wrote:
TerryMc wrote:
Glyn wrote: Second one, yes please. :mrgreen: (or maybe I should just ask Dave Snith, his estimates are usually pretty close.... :roll: ;) :mrgreen: )

Who's Dave Snith?
As I've said before, you find out who your friends are on this forum....

some of us email our chums when they've made spolling errers

:twisted: :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:
Just my sense of humour Glyn lad, I'm sure that you will get your own back in due course!
:twisted:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

oh, and my final word on reffing yesterday (we'll have to agree to disagree), LOL at MOTD last night, game 1, Jonathan Pearce takes time to compliment the ref on letting the game flow; game 2, muppet ref who doesn't know the Laws of the Game and/or turns his back on play (unforgivable) allows an illegal goal for Blackburn.

They have them at the top level too

:roll:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

TerryMc wrote:
Just my sense of humour Glyn lad, I'm sure that you will get your own back in due course!
No worries. And yes...

Rambling Syd

Post by Rambling Syd »

A hard working display yesterday, and definitely one of our best of the season. Similarly to ourselves, Chorley are one of the sides in our league who see themselves as really going places and they have invested heavily over the last couple of years, I think.

Our performance cannot be under-estimated and I thought we had contenders for MoM all over the pitch, everyone gave 100%. I was particularly impressed with our back 5 yesterday. Great save by Craney at the end of the first-half and we saw non of the last gasp panic around the 6-yard box which we do experience from time to time. Che and Pedro were fantastic yesterday. Far from being a cause for concern, for my money Pedro oozes class and calmness and has impeccable timing. I think we will only see how good he is if at some point we don't have him, Che can learn an awful lot playing alongside him I would say. Top marks also to Ozzie for keeping going against the rough stuff and Jay Denny for providing our own steel in the middle of the park.

Best move of the day (and this is nothing against Wellers), Rob and Larry spotting their centre-halves weaknesses and against pace and guile. Great to see a willingness to change and this also demonstrates how fortunate we are to have the players available from the bench to change a game. Credit to the managers and indeed the chairman for his backing. We have 16 or so players who can all claim a legitimate right to a first team place, as we saw against Walsall when we did make changes, we have no weak "squad players" here. This is the strongest squad we have had for some time and this is no bad thing heading towards the toughest part of the season (keys park weather permitting!).

Already looking forward to Tuesday against Rushall, against whom we have something to prove!!
Grundle your parts - your own parts, not anybody elses!! It goes in this fashion.....
The Beerhunter

Post by The Beerhunter »

Talking of the squad, what's happened to Decio?
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.
TerryMc

Post by TerryMc »

The Beerhunter wrote:Talking of the squad, what's happened to Decio?
Decio has asked for a couple of weeks off to sort out a few things, don't know much beyond that at present.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Chorley official report will appear here at some stage...

http://www.chorleyfc.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=11

The last post on their forum seems to have been at 4.55pm on Friday, so I'm not looking too far for post-match reaction on there!

http://www.magpiesinspace.co.uk/forum/

:shock: :roll:
Dobba
Site Admin

Post by Dobba »

You have to register Glyn, their main forum is hidden for guests.